Questions for CYCC2008 organizers and CFC Youth Coordinator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions for CYCC2008 organizers and CFC Youth Coordinator

First place in CYCC 2008 Under 10 boys, William GRAIF is a US resident. According with USCF web site he played in 66 US tournaments between 2006-01-28 and 2008-07-06.
    http://main.uschess.org/component/op...er/Itemid,181/
    His USCF rating is 1754 (after the World Open in Philadelphia) and he is the NY state scholastic champion (section 5 Primary)

He was registered for CYCC with his CFC rating of 1050 (he played 3 games 0 points at Chess Academy in May 2007)
    http://www.chess.ca/memberinfo.asp?CFCN=146303

From CFC handbook Section 10 article 1007
    http://www.chess.ca/section_10.htm

Each player shall be either (i) a Canadian citizen or (ii) a landed immigrant and be a resident of Canada for the twelve-month period immediately preceding the tournament.

Did the organizers check if William GRAIF was a Canadian resident for 12 months before the CYCC? What will happen with the U10B standings if CFC decides his disqualification? What will happen at WYCC in Vietnam when FIDE will check his residency requirements?

Re: Questions for CYCC2008 organizers and CFC Youth Coordinator

We do need to clarify the wording of this section.
    I read it that the player has to be Either:
    1) a Canadian Citizen
    or
    2) a Landed Immigrant with residency for the 12 month period prior to the tournament
    ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
    Patrick McDonald

:D********;)

Comment

Further to this discussion, we can look at the FIDE rules:
      Item 05.2.2:
      The players representing a Federation must be qualified by citizenship or naturalization to represent that Federation, save as otherwise provided below.
      The "Otherwise provided below" then speaks of residency. Basically saying that a player can represent a federation without citizenship by having residency requirments met.

Then in Item 05.4.1:
      A player with dual citizenship may only represent one Federation and is eligible by citizenship to participate in a FIDE competition on condition that he or she has not represented any other Federation in any FIDE competition at any time in the preceding year.

I believe that Mr. Graiff has met these requirments and so can represent Canada.
      ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
      Patrick McDonald

Comment

Oh, yeah, and the residency of one year applies to those UNDER 14 ... for those over 14, the residency requirment is 3 Years.
        ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
        Patrick McDonald

Comment

How about....each player must produce a Canadian passport before being allowed to play. That would get rid of any chance of non-Canadians playing.

Comment

For the record, at the request of a number of parents, I called Robert Gillanders, Executive Director of the CFC during the tournament to verify that a Canadian Citizen living in the US could (a) play in the CYCC and (b) play at the WYCC for Canada and he advised that as long as he hadn't played FIDE rated tournament under another flag for the past 12 months he could represent Canada at the WYCC and as long as he was Canadian Citizen he was OK to play at CYCC.

The boy in question is a Canadian Citizen as per the Cnadian Government as both of his parents are Canadians

Citizenship and Immigration Canada

Born outside Canada after February 14, 1977
            You are a Canadian citizen
            You are a Canadian citizen if you were born outside Canada and:

you were born after February 14, 1977; and
            you had a parent who was Canadian at the time of your birth.

Gary Gladstone
            CFC Governor

Comment

Unfortunately, not all Canadian kids hold Canadian Passports ... You may say that if they are hoping to go to the WYCC they will need a passport, but many kids play in the CYCC knowing that they stand VERY LITTLE chance at winning but want to have the honour of playing in the Canadian Youth Championships.
              Also, in the case we are speaking of, this boy may not hold a Canadian Passport, but a US one ... but that does not mean that he is not a Canadian Citizen.
              ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
              Patrick McDonald

Comment

It’s really difficult to understand the Boolean logic behind rule 1007

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boolean_logic - English language use of Boolean terms

From my point of view there are 2 conditions: to be a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant AND to be a resident of Canada for 12 months before CYCC. If being a Canadian Citizen qualify you to play in CYCC why in the next sentence it states:
                Persons who are not citizens or landed immigrants but who have been a resident of Canada for a twelve-month period immediately preceding the tournament may be admitted to the Tournament provided they can clearly demonstrate to the CFC Board of Directors that they have a settled intention to continue to reside in Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick McDonald View Post
                  We do need to clarify the wording of this section.
                  I read it that the player has to be Either:
                  1) a Canadian Citizen
                  or
                  2) a Landed Immigrant with residency for the 12 month period prior to the tournament
                  I read it
                  1) a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant
                  2) a resident of Canada for the twelve-month period immediately preceding the tournament.

Otherwise the next sentense has no logic.
                  Persons who are not citizens or landed immigrants but who have been a resident of Canada for a twelve-month period immediately preceding the tournament may be admitted to the Tournament provided they can clearly demonstrate to the CFC Board of Directors that they have a settled intention to continue to reside in Canada.

Comment

"landed immigrant"?

I may be wrong, but I believe this term is no longer used by the Canadian Government. "Permanent Resident" is the expression, these days.

Comment

It's very clear. If you are a Canadian citizen, regardless of where you live, you can play in the CYCC. The optics of barring Canadian citizens from playing in the National championship don't bear considering.

Comment

While I appreciate the difficulties that have arisen, I have to say that (as a lawyer) it's pretty funny that the CFC can't even draft unambiguous regulations.

I mean, either:

All CYCC participants must be:

a) A Canadian citizen; or

b) A landed immigrant in Canada who has resided in Canada for the year preceding the event.

OR

All CYCC participants must be:

a) Either:

i) A Canadian citizen; or

ii) A landed immigrant in Canada;

and

b) Must have resided in Canada for the year preceding the event.

It's a little late to worry about the actual meaning now (although the follow-up paragraph would seem to indicate the latter meaning).

Comment

1) Our rules are based on the FIDE rules for allowing a player to play for Canada on our youth team ...

2) The reason that it later speaks about residency without "landed Immigrant status" is that it leaves the option open to the CFC board to allow someone that has been living in Canada for the requisite 12 months and "demonstrates an intent on staying in Canada" but may not yet have started the paperwork with the Canadian Government. These cases have to be taken on a case-by-case basis by the CFC executive.

3) A Canadian Citizen is a Canadian Citizen wherever they live.
                          ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
                          Patrick McDonald

Comment

I think that CFC has to clarify rule 1007. I don't see why a landed immigrant (permanent resident) must be a resident of Canada for the twelve-month period immediately preceding the tournament and a Canadian citizen doesn't.
                            Last edited by Rene Preotu; Tuesday, 22nd July, 2008, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Ummm, because a Canadian citizen is a *Canadian* citizen and can thus play in a *Canadian* Youth Championship, because they are, umm Canadian?

(I *AM* Canadian!)

While somebody else, umm, *isn't*, and *can't*.

And a Landed Immigrant (or whatever language you wish to use) is somebody whose paperwork is still going through the mills that grind fine and isn't a citizen yet. Thus if they've actually *lived* in Canada it matters and if they've done so for 12 months they *can* compete.

If you want to try to narrow the scope of participation to a choice between Canadian citizens and those who have simply been visiting this planet ... sorry country ... for 12 months, I think the vote will come down heavily on the side of those who are actually citizens.

I haven't looked at the crosstables to see why you might be complaining but at the moment this sounds like sour grapes.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X