Hostage Chess at the Canadian Open!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post

I think I'm on the same wavelength as your busker. Having an objective is not the same thing as attaining it. However, we can work toward attainment in the hope that there will be improvement along the way.

There is no reason why a chess variant can't be used to make a political statement.
    I thought you might like the busker's viewpoint. I do too. And you summed it up nicely, I might add.

The bolded statement you wrote is true.

There is also no reason why you can't walk around Harbourfront in your pajamas with a sign that The End Is Near.

But if you want to be taken seriously.... well that's another matter altogether. At least wear the Cookie Monster pajamas! LOL

But Peter.... would love to have more philosophical discussions with you. Here's something you might be interested to know.

google Suzanne Giesemann

On 9/11 she was with a group of U.S. Senators flying to Europe for a conference... when news of the Twin Towers attacks came. She was the Navy commander in charge during the trip... she gave the order to turn the plane around. The plane flew over Manhattan on its return.

After this event, she decided to leave her position as an aide to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

She and her husband (also a senior official in the U.S. military) went on a sailing trip around the world, and following that, guess what she became? A medium.

Recently I read something she posted about what is going on in Ukraine. She talked about the messages she was getting from Angels on the other side.

The key message they were giving her was DO NOT WORRY. Apparently humanity is actually progressing very nicely on the path to spiritual enlightenment. And everything is going according to plan, the Angels told her.

I hope this news eases your concerns. Yes, hospitals and schools and malls have been bombed by the Russians. Unimaginable suffering. In the grand scheme of things, all this suffering is as inconsequential as the time you cried at age 5 because Rover ate your ice cream cone while your mother was busy talking to the neighbor about existentialism.

But SHHHH let's keep that a secret. The world isn't supposed to know these kind of things. And so we come back to the busker's message that "you gotta work with what you got" and "you can give it your very best shot". Humans still have to try ... to strive.

It's all part of the plan.
    Last edited by Pargat Perrer; Wednesday, 29th June, 2022, 04:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
      The world will be perfect as soon as we realize that there is no God but ourselves. It is up to us, not to some fabrication in the sky.
      Hey Brad, this post caught me off guard coming from you. You have posted on other threads about hoping for some kind of supernatural miracle to save us from ourselves.

Do you believe that if humankind gave up on all religions, every single one, that we could then work to extract ourselves from all our problems and achieve some kind of 'perfection" in this physical universe?

Comment

Originally posted by Pargat Perrer View Post

Hey Brad, this post caught me off guard coming from you. You have posted on other threads about hoping for some kind of supernatural miracle to save us from ourselves.

Do you believe that if humankind gave up on all religions, every single one, that we could then work to extract ourselves from all our problems and achieve some kind of 'perfection" in this physical universe?
        Yes. mankind needs to give up on ALL religions, they have served only to enslave us to our stupidity. We must let out entire past drop completely, and begin anew. Yesterday is gone, but it still completely controls us, we must let go and be free and responsible and choose a new beginning. Nietzsche famously said "God is dead" meaning the institutions, not some actual deity, but he was completely wrong, God is very much alive nowadays and this is our problem. This lie to ourselves for our own emotional comfort is why we die. The miracle I refer to would be a new dawn, an awakening, a new reality, a new system of beliefs where we place ourselves at the top. By placing some "God" at the top we simply wait for S/he/it to save us, but no salvation can come from a God that does not exist. This attitude must go. But of course it will not, look at how many Christians, how many Muslims... that there are. As I have said, enjoy your time while you can.

Comment

The key message they were giving her was DO NOT WORRY. Apparently humanity is actually progressing very nicely on the path to spiritual enlightenment. And everything is going according to plan, the Angels told her.
          This is the lie/attitude that I rebel and fight against. We are NOT doing fine, we are on the verge of self-destruction. NO God will save us, we have got to give up on this pass-the-buck notion and realize that we must do it ourselves. ALL religions are bullshit and must go. And time is fast running out. If we wait for God to save us we will wait in vain until we are extinct.

Motörhead - God Was Never on Your Side - YouTube
          Last edited by Brad Thomson; Wednesday, 29th June, 2022, 06:52 AM.

Comment

The world will be perfect as soon as we realize that there is no God but ourselves. It is up to us, not to some fabrication in the sky.
            Well said, Brad!
            India's ancient philosophy says just that.... though its present day 'followers' do not realize that by any stretch...

And just as well said was the Bryon Nickoloff quote of having only one country in the entire world...

Comment

Thanks Dilip, Nick was something of a philosopher and had he not had such a gift for chess would have ended up a professor of something, he was quite bright, possibly a genius of sorts.

Comment

This is the lie/attitude that I rebel and fight against. We are NOT doing fine, we are on the verge of self-destruction. NO God will save us, we have got to give up on this pass-the-buck notion and realize that we must do it ourselves. ALL religions are bullshit and must go. And time is fast running out. If we wait for God to save us we will wait in vain until we are extinct.

Motörhead - God Was Never on Your Side - YouTube

Why do you bother to rebel and fight against it? Haven't you posted many times to the effect that we are DESERVEDLY on the verge of self-destruction?

I can agree with what you say about all religions. But spiritualism is not religion and should not be mistaken as such. Don't mistake me for a Christian or any other organized religion.

Of course humanity is "NOT doing fine" ... when your yardstick is the extent of suffering or maybe how close we are to extinction. But there are other yardsticks if you care to think about them.... what I mentioned was "spiritual enlightenment". Something I think you may know nothing about because you don't believe in spirit.

That's all I"m going to say on this topic in this thread because this is Hal Bond's thread about the Canadian Open and a chess variant competition that has been scheduled.

Thank you Hal Bond for your work and I"m sorry your thread got hijacked and I apologize for my role in that.

One good thing: at least ChessTalkers visiting the site have seen "Hostage Chess At The Canadian Open!" several times at the top of the thread list. So maybe that will increase interest and get you more players at the Canadian Open, Hal!

Oh, and I'm still hoping to get that email address for John Leslie. Would really like to communicate with him.
                Last edited by Pargat Perrer; Thursday, 30th June, 2022, 03:34 AM.

Comment

Something I think you may know nothing about because you don't believe in spirit.
                  Clearly I have not done a good job of explaining myself. But I am an idealist, I do not believe in the existence of matter, or material substance, I believe ONLY in spirit.

Comment

Hi Brad:

No "string theory" either (Nothing is material, just energy - if I've got the core of it)?

~ Bob A (T-S/P)

Comment

Berkeley define all spirits, God inclusive, as "active principle[s] of motion and change and ideas". It is pure energy, what it imagines in/as itself is confused with matter by some.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                        Hi Brad:

(Nothing is material, just energy - if I've got the core of it)?

~ Bob A (T-S/P)
                        That is what modern physicists believe as an obvious fact...

Comment

Originally posted by Dilip Panjwani View Post
                          That is what modern physicists believe as an obvious fact...
                          To suggest that this is an "obvious fact" may be a stretch. I think the difference between our respective theories, or philosophies, is that I believe all energy to be essentially self-conscious and what appears to be "matter" simply something that consciousness imagines, while you believe that certain combinations of essentially unconscious energy leads to consciousness under specific conditions. Thus for me consciousness is primary and "matter" is a byproduct, while for you energy/matter is primary and "consciousness" is a byproduct. Or do I misunderstand?

Comment

I believe all energy to be essentially self-conscious and what appears to be "matter" simply something that consciousness imagines
                            We fully concur!

Comment

My differing view:

The only initial consciousness is the Supra-Natural, the creator of all.

The design for the material world is that there is first inert matter. It is not conscious.

But, under certain conditions, inert matter (Current Theory - String Theory - it is really vibrating energy) becomes matter with a life-force.

The design also decrees that when the life-force is created, simultaneously is created for that life force, and unique Spirit with its own vitality.

These merge......a symbiotic relationship.....and consciousness arises in this new blended creature.

So there exists the consciousness of the creator, and the consciousness of the living.

It is an open question for me whether plants, as alive, with their own unique Life-Spirit, are indeed "conscious" as we think of it for the rest of life (Fly, Dog, Human). But my guess is that the answer is yes...........there is enough of a similarity between their life operations, and the consciousness of other beings, that we can refer to them as conscious.

~ Bob A (T-S/P)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                                My differing view:

The only initial consciousness is the Supra-Natural, the creator of all.

The design for the material world is that there is first inert matter. It is not conscious.

But, under certain conditions, inert matter (Current Theory - String Theory - it is really vibrating energy) becomes matter with a life-force.

The design also decrees that when the life-force is created, simultaneously is created for that life force, and unique Spirit with its own vitality.

These merge......a symbiotic relationship.....and consciousness arises in this new blended creature.

So there exists the consciousness of the creator, and the consciousness of the living.

It is an open question for me whether plants, as alive, with their own unique Life-Spirit, are indeed "conscious" as we think of it for the rest of life (Fly, Dog, Human). But my guess is that the answer is yes...........there is enough of a similarity between their life operations, and the consciousness of other beings, that we can refer to them as conscious.

~ Bob A (T-S/P)
                                All medical students understand that the brain is the seat of consciousness. The electromagnetic energy generated in the brains of animals (including humans) is self conscious, and the waveform determines what the content of that consciousness is. The consciousness of electromagnetic energy takes the form of matter (a total illusion). There is nothing supra-natural about this...though theologists keep on insisting it is so, so that they can contiue to earn their bread and butter...
                                What you could call as suranatural is the fact that after death, the soul (our consciouness about self) develops an "entangled" counterpart, which then joins with 'universal' consciousness... what that would 'feel' like is difficult to imagine....
                                Last edited by Dilip Panjwani; Saturday, 2nd July, 2022, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X