Collective Nouns - Fischer v Spassky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collective Nouns - Fischer v Spassky

Chessbase has another article on the subject match. The writer of the article includes this quote from one of Frank Brady's books:

"In the basement, Icelandic masters more quietly explained and analyzed the moves on a large demonstration board, while in the press rooms, a condescension of grandmasters surveyed the television screens and analyzed in their heads, to the confusion and awe of most of the journalists."

A "condescension" of GMs - never heard that one before but think it's brilliant! Right up there with the best of the collective nouns, like a 'murder' of crows.

https://en.chessbase.com/post/fische...y-50-years-ago
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Yes, good point Peter! Im enjoying the nostalgia. Even played over some of the games and got that: Hey good feeling all over again. Jan Timman also published a good article about the lead up to the match on chess.com.

Comment

Fischer sure new how to generate press. Quote: One move and we've hit the front page of every paper in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
        Yes, good point Peter! Im enjoying the nostalgia. Even played over some of the games and got that: Hey good feeling all over again. Jan Timman also published a good article about the lead up to the match on chess.com.
        Me too on the nostalgia. Don't know if you'll remember this, Hans, since you were just a youngster back then, but at that time there was a small museum on Queens Ave just east of the old main branch of the public library. Someone had the inspiration to set up a chess board on a small table outside the front door. Someone at the Free Press would relay the moves to the museum as they came in on the newspaper's teletype and then a museum employee would bring the move out to the anxious fans (maybe a half dozen or so at any one time). Not all of the fans had full command of English descriptive notation so occasionally some very unusual positions would appear on the board (Spassky played THAT?!?). Good fun on sunny summer afternoons!
        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Thats a great anecdote Peter! At that point I wasnt aware of any chess "scene" - a group of 4 of us, all high school students, met at one friends house - the one whose parents had copies of the Toronto papers and New York Times and discussed each game which usually degenerated into discussions of the Fried Liver Attack which was the only opening we were interested in (sadly). It wasnt until October that we all joined the chess club and slowly became aware that there was a much bigger chess world out there.

Comment

In late October 1972 I made my first trip downtown and discovered Bob Edwards chess store on Dundas Street just east of Waterloo. There were so many chess gems there. Perhaps best were the Mexican hand glazed pottery chess sets painted in vivid colours. I couldnt take my eyes off them. They were selling for $50. I also discovered the old Main library on Queens Ave. What an atmosphere! A lovely old heritage building. Too bad the library decided to go "modern". Do you remember Bob Edwards store Peter?

Comment

.... Do you remember Bob Edwards store Peter?
              I sure do. On the ground floor of an old house near Dundas & Waterloo (?). 1972 for me as well. I forget whether someone told me about it or I just stumbled onto it (I 'stumbled' onto a lot of things in those days!). I bought several books there: Basic Chess Endings, My System, Pawn Power, and one other, the name of which escapes me at the moment. Pretty sure I still have them all. Tartan Books the publisher I think. Hey, that's half a century!! Wonder if Bob is still alive and well?

Comment

Sadly Bob Edwards passed at age 64. A real chessplayer! (maximum age of a real chess player is 64 - like Bobby Fischer and Wilhelm Steinitz)

Comment

I got my first chess book there IA Horowitz's Chess Openings Theory and Practice. I read that book more than any other chessbook - from cover to cover several times until it fell apart on me. I loved the Idea Variations - my first introduction to sharp play. Yes, half a century - with all those memories!

Comment

I got my first chess book there IA Horowitz's Chess Openings Theory and Practice. I read that book more than any other chessbook - from cover to cover several times until it fell apart on me. I loved the Idea Variations - my first introduction to sharp play. Yes, half a century - with all those memories!
                    Chesswise, 1967 was a big chess year for me. In the spring, I 'discovered' that Wendell Holmes Book Store, on Richmond near Oxford, carried high quality chess books. In fact, at that time, they only carried Dover chess books and I'm sure you remember, Hans, what a great selection of chess titles Dover had. I still have all of those Dover books. Then in the fall of '67, a friend mentioned that the central YMCA had a large (for London) chess club where teenagers as well as adults were welcome. And that's when I met Ted Durrant. Ted was one of the good guys in my opinion. In those days, if I remember correctly, Ted was on the verge of breaking into expert strength. I was probably about 1200. But there was no chess snobbery there. Ted was always friendly and helpful, ready to look at a game with me or play some skittles. Lost track of Ted. Did you know him, Hans?

Comment

Yes, Ted Durrant, I knew him quite well. There was a Chinese restaurant on the corner of Richmond and King and we (Ted Durrant, Gerald Otremba, Ray Ebisuzaki, Jay Zendrowski, Kelly Riley and myself) used to adjourn there after the club closed each evening (Bob Edwards club on Richmond Street) I was a chess junkie in those days as the club was open seven days a week. Ted was a great one for chess analysis and speed chess and ran the youth club at the library and Y. Anyways Ted by then was a master, studied Mandarin, got married and named his son after Ray. Years later he bought a chain of donut shops and sponsored the Canadian Open in London in 1993.

Comment

Peter, do you know this character?

Comment

Hmm. That's quite a pipe! I don't know but will assume it's someone from the London chess scene. My guesses are Ernst Spricis or Sid Barber, as young men. Or maybe Theo Ackermann? There's also a bit of Bob Kaczmarek around the eyes. I give up!

Comment

Lenin! 10 10 10

Comment

Its a picture of Ernie Rentz, Bob Edwards best friend and a cool character that we (the teenage members) really looked up to at the club on Richmond Street. Its dedicated "To Bob and Eva and the members of the club. The best for the New Year. Ernie" Christmas 1974.
                              Ernie Rentz owned the bookstore right next to Edwards club (on east side of Richmond half a block south of King) He had an old barbers chair (plush, luxurious, throne-like) that he would sit in and he would chain smoke ciagarettes. When you were having a conversation with him he liked to build the ash on the cigarette to the very end and I often was distracted by when and where the ash would fall off (which it never did). Ernie had a crazy sense of humour, with the oddest jokes and puns and stories and for us the teenagers he would introduce us to attractive young women who always seemed to hang around him. Ernie and Bob used to go out for a beer or two after closing down the store or club in the evening.
                              Ernie sold his bookstore to Marc Emery who expanded and changed the name to City Lights and Ernie started the "Greater London and British North American Used Junque Shop on Dundas Street across from the Courthouse. It ran for about 5 years and then Ernie had a booth at the Western Fair Progress building and another booth at Trails end for many years.
                              Last edited by Hans Jung; Saturday, 16th July, 2022, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X