Fond memories in Chess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fond memories in Chess

While I do not play much these days, I still think about the friends I made and the happenings throughout the years. I have many memories and it's tough to rank them amongst the best. Some of the best are as follows...

My first CFC rated game. It was against Jeff Groot-Lipman. I lost on the black side of a French defense. Jeff became a very good friend and I was the best man at his wedding He is also my daughters Godfather. We played many games throughout the years, Jeff usually got the better of me. I won a few!

The first time I went to the Brantford Chess Club. It was sometime around 1982. I walked in and was greeted by Paul Simon. He asked me if I was any good?! I told him yes. I played him and found out I wasn't quite there yet. I took a few lessons from Paul and became a much better player.

I moved to Ottawa shortly after my lessons with Paul. I played at the RA Centre and met Doug Burgess, one of the finest people I ever met in chess. At the time Doug was the most active player in the country. If there weren't any weekend tournaments, Doug would invite 3 players for a round robin at his house. Tons of fun! Doug also taught me how to organize and TD tournaments.

I have countless others and will add to this post with more. It would be great to hear of your stories. Chess is full of good times!

This will be an awesome thread Tony, and I will have much to say I am sure. (Apart from my memories of and thoughts upon Bryon Nickoloff which already have a thread of their own.) It is good to see you back and participating! I look forward to everything everyone has to say.

Up in North Bay one year, when they put on huge events for a number of years, a young lad walked into the CFC sales room and told me he was going to be the world chess champion one day. He was a bit full of himself, but cute, funny and somewhat pudgy. What I remember even more is his dad, dressed and adorned as a combination between a beatnik and a hippie, something out of a Kerouac novel. The young fellow has yet to become the world champion, though perhaps some day he still might. His name is Hikaru Nakamura.
    Last edited by Brad Thomson; Friday, 15th July, 2022, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Ficzere View Post
      While I do not play much these days, I still think about the friends I made and the happenings throughout the years. I have many memories and it's tough to rank them amongst the best. Some of the best are as follows...

My first CFC rated game. It was against Jeff Groot-Lipman. I lost on the black side of a French defense. Jeff became a very good friend and I was the best man at his wedding He is also my daughters Godfather. We played many games throughout the years, Jeff usually got the better of me. I won a few!

The first time I went to the Brantford Chess Club. It was sometime around 1982. I walked in and was greeted by Paul Simon. He asked me if I was any good?! I told him yes. I played him and found out I wasn't quite there yet. I took a few lessons from Paul and became a much better player.

I moved to Ottawa shortly after my lessons with Paul. I played at the RA Centre and met Doug Burgess, one of the finest people I ever met in chess. At the time Doug was the most active player in the country. If there weren't any weekend tournaments, Doug would invite 3 players for a round robin at his house. Tons of fun! Doug also taught me how to organize and TD tournaments.

I have countless others and will add to this post with more. It would be great to hear of your stories. Chess is full of good times!
      I agree, Doug was incredible!!

Comment

EPIC thread Tony!

From my chesspective ... ahem ... I first understood our game on a family level and then on a social level. It wasn't until much much later on that I even heard of such a thing as 'organized' or 'organized rated' chess. So, I see Chess first as family/social chess, and then I see it as organized chess, and then I see it manipulated and packaged as organized rated chess.

My fondest Chess memories come from that family/social chess level. For instance, my grandfather's chess set which I inherited. With that set he played chess with his son and then he played chess with that set with his grandson (me).

I do have other fond memories in Chess too ... lots of 'em!

My very own weekly sponsored chess article that I wrote for the Ottawa Sun!

Another ... I organized a chesstastic charity event. It was a tandem simultaneous display in partnership with Industry Canada down at 240 Sparks called Chess for Charity. C4C. That simule featured 16 boards conducted by then junior chess talent Lloyd Mai and anther 16 boards being conducted by then junior chess talent Gabriel Brown!

Another fond chess memory ... when I had the absolute pleasure to organize the first ever chess tournament event for the ODA ... Ottawa Diplomatic Association. 16 countries (including Russia) having a ton fun!!!

Many other fond memories in chess too but those ones are way up there for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post

I agree, Doug was incredible!!
          Chess is an interface. Chess is an interface between you and me ... between the past and the present ... between the here and now.

Doug knew that better than most ... Doug Burgess is a GOAT.

Comment

I remember many years ago playing at the Toronto Skyline tournament. Paul Wentworth was also playing. In one of the rounds Paul played Hysam Elsaka (spelling?). Paul was winning and announced mate in 4 moves. Elsaka wasn't too happy about that so he took of one of his shoes and waved it in a threatening manner at Paul. Maybe not a fond memory but certainly an unforgettable one. Later in that same tournament, Elsaka offered to buy me a steak dinner and also offered his wife as dessert.

At one of the North Bay tournaments, I did the bulletins for each round. Spassky was an honorary arbiter for the event. Players would get into disputes on purpose just so Boris could come to their board and make a ruling. I have always been a fan of Boris but was humbled. I really wanted to introduce myself and make some small talk. At one point, he was just a few feet away discussing something with Jon Berry. I got up from my chair and started to walk towards them and on my way, I picked up a jacket that was on the back of a chair. I took the jacket with me and said "Excuse me Mr. Spassky, is this your jacket?" Spassky politely said No. That was it. I blew my chance and felt like a fool. I still smile to myself when I think of this story.

At the 2015 Ontario Open I was one of the arbiters for the tournament. I had to make a ruling ( I won't get into specifics) and I consulted Hal Bond who also agreed with how I handled the situation. The game was between a small boy and an adult. The father of the boy was not happy with my ruling and called the police. The police came to the tournament (one of the officers was actually my nephew) to see what all the commotion was about. Nobody was arrested.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
              EPIC thread Tony!

From my chesspective ... ahem ... I first understood our game on a family level and then on a social level. It wasn't until much much later on that I even heard of such a thing as 'organized' or 'organized rated' chess. So, I see Chess first as family/social chess, and then I see it as organized chess, and then I see it manipulated and packaged as organized rated chess.

My fondest Chess memories come from that family/social chess level. For instance, my grandfather's chess set which I inherited. With that set he played chess with his son and then he played chess with that set with his grandson (me).

I do have other fond memories in Chess too ... lots of 'em!

My very own weekly sponsored chess article that I wrote for the Ottawa Sun!

Another ... I organized a chesstastic charity event. It was a tandem simultaneous display in partnership with Industry Canada down at 240 Sparks called Chess for Charity. C4C. That simule featured 16 boards conducted by then junior chess talent Lloyd Mai and anther 16 boards being conducted by then junior chess talent Gabriel Brown!

Another fond chess memory ... when I had the absolute pleasure to organize the first ever chess tournament event for the ODA ... Ottawa Diplomatic Association. 16 countries (including Russia) having a ton fun!!!

Many other fond memories in chess too but those ones are way up there for sure.
              So I have you to thank Neil? I was invited to an Industry Canada event in October 2006 in Ottawa. I did an eight board blindfold simultaneous and Karoly Szalay was the young prodigy who did a normal simultaneous and got to shake the hands of various government ministers. It was a memorable event for me both for the simultaneous and endless speed chess with Stijn and drinking at the fieldhouse afterwards.

Comment

Where to start? Oh, where to start? Should I talk about Hyssam Elsakka? - a legendary character who I knew like an older brother (and far better than I wanted to at times) or Paul Simon - another legendary character.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
                  This will be an awesome thread Tony, and I will have much to say I am sure. (Apart from my memories of and thoughts upon Bryon Nickoloff which already have a thread of their own.) It is good to see you back and participating! I look forward to everything everyone has to say.

Up in North Bay one year, when they put on huge events for a number of years, a young lad walked into the CFC sales room and told me he was going to be the world chess champion one day. He was a bit full of himself, but cute, funny and somewhat pudgy. What I remember even more is his dad, dressed and adorned as a combination between a beatnik and a hippie, something out of a Kerouac novel. The young fellow has yet to become the world champion, though perhaps some day he still might. His name is Hikaru Nakamura.
                  Number two in the world at one point and a chess millionaire is shooting pretty close. Hikaru is quite the character himself. We used to have exchanges on chesstalk. After I published my impressions of a St Louis tournament I played in (my first visit to the legendary club) Hikaru said he went by my board and couldnt help laughing. I think I responded: "at least I got your interest".
                  Another time he described how he saw the blindfold positions in his mind.
                  Sunil Weeramantry (Hikaru's stepfather) is another real character. I finally got a chance to interact with him in St Louis (beyond previous nods and hellos and the odd quip) Alejandro Ramirez set up an intricate problem in the club to challenge members. I spent quite a bit of time with Sunil going through solutions and quite happy finding the right continuation which he had overlooked. We had then an interesting conversation about geometry on the chessboard. Later I was watching when Hikaru lost a particularly tense game. Hikaru got up and brushed by and then pushed me. Sunil grabbed his arm and talked soothing words to him and then apologized later for Hikaru's behaviour.
                  Sunil's book: Best Lessons of a Chess Coach is one I stlill recommend quite often. I have one student currently learning from it and it is a joy to teach from and to refer to.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Ficzere View Post
                    I remember many years ago playing at the Toronto Skyline tournament. Paul Wentworth was also playing. In one of the rounds Paul played Hysam Elsaka (spelling?). Paul was winning and announced mate in 4 moves. Elsaka wasn't too happy about that so he took of one of his shoes and waved it in a threatening manner at Paul. Maybe not a fond memory but certainly an unforgettable one. Later in that same tournament, Elsaka offered to buy me a steak dinner and also offered his wife as dessert.

At one of the North Bay tournaments, I did the bulletins for each round. Spassky was an honorary arbiter for the event. Players would get into disputes on purpose just so Boris could come to their board and make a ruling. I have always been a fan of Boris but was humbled. I really wanted to introduce myself and make some small talk. At one point, he was just a few feet away discussing something with Jon Berry. I got up from my chair and started to walk towards them and on my way, I picked up a jacket that was on the back of a chair. I took the jacket with me and said "Excuse me Mr. Spassky, is this your jacket?" Spassky politely said No. That was it. I blew my chance and felt like a fool. I still smile to myself when I think of this story.

At the 2015 Ontario Open I was one of the arbiters for the tournament. I had to make a ruling ( I won't get into specifics) and I consulted Hal Bond who also agreed with how I handled the situation. The game was between a small boy and an adult. The father of the boy was not happy with my ruling and called the police. The police came to the tournament (one of the officers was actually my nephew) to see what all the commotion was about. Nobody was arrested.
                    That 2015 Ontario Open was a stellar event for me. My last great performance in a tournament (so far). I remember that incident - caused quite a stir. I was defending against the Fed (John Fedorowicz) after a particularly vicious exchange sack and managed to wiggle and finagle my way to a playable endgame. The Fed offered a draw and I instantly took it, short of time. John said not so fast and proceeded to show some delicious variations that were chaotic. Later on I was sitting in Tim Horton's and a voice said " Mind if I have a seat" and the Fed sits down! We talked for over an hour and he shared some delightful stories - one of which he had an eight - zero score against the late great Sammy Reshevsky! -and when I went WoW! - he said it should have been nine. The ninth Sammy got into a losing position and faked a heart attack - slumped over onto the floor and they had to call an ambulance and take him away. The tournament director talked John into voiding the game. Another story was the Fed was in a popular games store in Manhattan and Kasparov came by with a couple of well dressed friends. Kasparov introduced them and they looked at John as if he were dirt. John thought it was because of the way he was dressed which of course was normal for him. Kasparov caught the look and said . You know John played me and had a winning game against me.
                    Then the Fed answered any questions I could think of. A respected GM encounter. Absolutely delightful!

Comment

Doug Burgess was every organizers best friend. He used to drive all around Ontario to play and bring a car load of players besides. He was like the energizer bunny of tournament chess, played hundreds of tournament games a year (think about it!), year after year, and I think reached ten thousand games played.

Comment

The Fed is one of the most interesting and entertaining guys I know. I've had many beers with him and could listen to him for hours on end. Class act all the way. I had the good fortune to have played him when we brought him out to Medicine Hat, along with Anton Kovalyov. I played black and things went well for the first dozen moves or so. I made a mistake and John hung me out to dry. Of course this was to be expected but the post mortem was very enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post

So I have you to thank Neil? I was invited to an Industry Canada event in October 2006 in Ottawa. I did an eight board blindfold simultaneous and Karoly Szalay was the young prodigy who did a normal simultaneous and got to shake the hands of various government ministers. It was a memorable event for me both for the simultaneous and endless speed chess with Stijn and drinking at the fieldhouse afterwards.
                          Oops! ... I'm afraid so, Hans!

In 2004 we sat around wondering what we could do to make Chess for Charity into a chesspectable (ahem) then I was told we had that amount of floor space and tables and chairs and a small army of amazing volunteers! Film crews were everywhere so I requested that a DVD might be made of the C4C event ... I still have my copy, ha!

If you would like I could make a copy for you.

A lot of top ministers were there and a sprinkling of celebs too, but my jaw dropped when I saw Sam Holman up in the balcony!!! It took me about 5 seconds to run up to him and shake his hand!

Comment

remember being new to canada and playing in the cne open in 1971

Spassky was there and still world champion, I think vlad dobrich was responsible for that ..thanks ,

Didnt get to play spassky but did play donald byrne ... so that was a hoot !! { I will let you guess the result lol }

Comment

Originally posted by Raymond Dickson View Post
                              remember being new to canada and playing in the cne open in 1971

Spassky was there and still world champion, I think vlad dobrich was responsible for that ..thanks ,

Didnt get to play spassky but did play donald byrne ... so that was a hoot !! { I will let you guess the result lol }
                              Hi Raymond,

I also played in that event which was indeed organized by Vlad Dobrich!

Vlad was a trailblazer!

He was recently inducted into the Chess Hall of Fame and he will receive a plaque in the next few months.

He started a chess magazine, started selling books & equipment and organized awesome chess tournaments.

Of course the CFC did all they could to destroy him at the time...but that is history.

I was a teenager at the time...looked forward to receiving my next issue of Chess Canada...buying a few books from their catalogue...and playing in his spectacular events.

The Dobrich years were epic...hopefully others closer to him at the time can tell us more. Timing...yes timing is everything...just before the chess wave of Fischer-Spassky 1972.

What I vaguely remember was an incident at that tournament: a Canadian player (IM...Leo Williams think) was playing an American GM (Walter Browne I think)...and the Canadian ended up winning. In the post mortem, the Canadian was up a Queen...the American took the Queen and threw it across the room...hopefully someone can give an accurate account...that was over 50 years ago...and I have trouble remembering what I had for breakfast this morning:).

Larry

Comment

Working...
                              X