Hostage Chess World Championship - the Great Canadian Chess Variant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hostage Chess World Championship - the Great Canadian Chess Variant

The Inaugural Hostage Chess World Championship was played on Saturday July 16 at 6pm as part of the Canadian Open/CYCC festivities in Hamilton.. Hostage Chess Inventor John Leslie put up a $2,000 prize fund and we managed to attract an international crowd, including 3 GMs, 2 IMs and one strong FM. Congratulations to Shawn Rodrigue-Lemieux, who scored 5/5 and $1000. IM Mark Plotkin, FM Andrew Peredun and Brendan Cater each scored 4/5 and split $1000 equally.

Special thanks to David Plaxton for his promotional and pedagogical efforts leading up to the event, and or his arbiting assistance along with Chief Arbiter Michael Von Keitz and me. I am also grateful for the recording efforts of Sean Liu, Maili-Jade Ouellet and Brian Clarke.

From these humble beginnings we have high hopes to raise the awareness and interest in future competitions. Feedback from the players was very positive - and we all agreed to pursue the support of Hostage Chess on the major chess platforms like Chess.com and Lichess. I will also be presenting Hostage Chess to FIDE during the Congress in Chennai.

Again we have IMs scoring ahead of GM's. Whats going on? Congratulations to Shawn Rodrigue - Lemieux, especially winning with a perfect score.

Comment

This was a fun tournament and I quite enjoyed learning hostage chess. I would definitely play another tournament in the future.

However I do doubt hostage chess’ ability to catch on, mainly due to its similarity in concept to crazyhouse, which is already a well-established and relatively popular variant. Similar, but with the disadvantage of being harder to learn and with more complicated rules.

Although perhaps it could be a more interesting strategic and positional game than crazyhouse, which I’ve always found to be a bit too straightforward and lacking depth (this may just be due to the limits of my own ability though). I don’t know yet.. it might be similar in this regard. I’ll try to play more hostage chess in the future to get a better idea of it.

Comment

I have never played hostage chess is it similar/or the same as crazy house? if not what is the difference? im curious

Comment

Working...
        X