Canadian Olympic Team - Board Order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Olympic Team - Board Order

Our FIDE rep and team captain, Victor Plotkin, has announced the board order for the Canadian team:

Board order:

1. GM E.Hansen
    2. IM R.Panjwani
    3. IM N.Noritsyn
    4. GM R.Preotu
    5. IM A.Samsonkin

We still need Nikolay and Razvan to get visas to make this board order relevant.

V Plotkin

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

WOMEN'S TEAM:
    1 WGM Ouellet Maili-Jade 2239 CAN 2620472 0,0
    2 FM Zhou Qiyu 2201 CAN 505161 0,0
    3 WIM Demchenko Svitlana 2122 CAN 14149893 0,0
    4 Mills Morgen 1993 CAN 2013304 0,0
    5 Guo Yu Han 1630 CAN 2623870 0,0

There will be a number of Canadians going as arbiters:

Vadim Tyspin
    Diana Tyspina
    Aris Marghetis (section head)

Waiting for a visa:

Omar Shah

There may be others...but nobody tells me anything LOL

You can find the list of teams and their board order at: https://chess-results.com/tnr653631....&art=0&flag=30

Larry
    Last edited by Larry Bevand; Thursday, 21st July, 2022, 06:18 PM.

I was informed this morning that the Tyspins will not be there afterall.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
      I was informed this morning that the Tyspins will not be there afterall.

Larry
      Did they change the last name? or just a typo in three places?

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
        WOMEN'S TEAM:
        1 WGM Ouellet Maili-Jade 2239 CAN 2620472 0,0
        2 FM Zhou Qiyu 2201 CAN 505161 0,0
        3 WIM Demchenko Svitlana 2122 CAN 14149893 0,0
        4 Mills Morgen 1993 CAN 2013304 0,0
        5 Guo Yu Han 1630 CAN 2623870 0,0
        [/URL]

Larry
        AFAIK, Qiyu will NOT be playing in Chennai. She announced this on her twitch stream a few days ago -- and said she'd contacted the Canadian team -- but problems for Canadian getting visas to India have been all-too-common for more than just her.

PS: Larry, don't say nobody ever tells you nothin' ;)

Comment

The site chess-results.com, as of July 26, 6:45 pm EST, is now listing the Canadian Women's team as follows:
          1. WGM Ouellet (no change)
          2. WIM Demchenko ( up from board 3)
          3. Mills (up from board 4)
          4. Guo (up from board 5)
          5. Chen Rachel Ruoxuan, FIDE rating 1614, CFC rating 1945

Comment

(1) PM Modi declares open 44th Chess Olympiad in Chennai - YouTube

Comment

Canada (44) will play Liberia (138) in round one, and Canada Women (56) will play Togo (138) in round one. Canada has W on board one in both matches. Source: chess-results.com. It will start at 5:30 am EDT, July 29. Local time start is 3 pm. So, there is a 9.5 hour time difference between the site and EDT.

I believe the organizers should have used Accelerated Pairings for the first couple of rounds, in both sections. It will be very tough for the weaker and less experienced teams at the start, the way it is now. One-sided games benefit no one.

I hope it will be a fantastic event. The largest Olympiad ever. Certainly the host nation has done an enormous amount on short notice to put this together.

Comment

It only took 4 hours - plus another 3 hours of transit (mostly waiting for one's bus) for us in the nearby Congress Hotel, the Leela Palace. Players had at least a one hour ride back to their lodgings once their buses arrived. The ceremony had some entertainment value but it took far too long. Some of the speeches were insufferable. I wonder how many people will attend the closing after this marathon.

Comment

If you travel outside Canada and want to avoid the roaming charges you can use Airalo (data only plans).
                  Local and regional eSIMs for travellers - Airalo

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
                    If you travel outside Canada and want to avoid the roaming charges you can use Airalo (data only plans).
                    Local and regional eSIMs for travellers - Airalo
                    Thanks for that link Rene ! I have not been travelling at all lately, but it is bookmarked for future use.
                    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I realize that this might sound CRAZY, but I only brought my Windows 10 laptop with me. When I parked my car at Pearson, I turned off my cell phone and LEFT IT BEHIND. In my observation, so many people here are so stressed out trying to maintain the same level of connectivity as in regular life, but I don't think that's reasonably possible here. You need at least a good Indian SIM card.

And then I know I'll be on duty for at least a third of my waking hours, where I shouldn't use a phone. I'm finding the whole thing quite liberating and relaxing, not getting pinged in multiple ways.

Comment

I'm retired.........so I keep my cell "off" as much as possible!

Bob A

Comment

Working...
                        X