UZbekistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UZbekistan

Uzbekistan is the only undefeated team in the open olympiad. Who? Can you find them on a map? They have the young superstars Abdusattorov and Sindarov on their team and will soon be much better known.

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
    Uzbekistan ... Who? Can you find them on a map?
    Of course I can.
    it is surrounded by 5 other STAN countries: Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Tajiki, Afghani and Turkmeni ...
    yes, all STAN

Comment

Ukraine women are undefeated, 5 wins and 4 draws.

Comment

Thats why I said open olympiad - Id gone thru all the open teams and the top of the women and it occurred to me that there would be some with alot of ties so thats why the wording. But the Ukrainian team deserves mention - its not easy to not lose at the olympiad. Thanks John.

Comment

I believe Uzbekistan is where GM Igor Ivanov lived, played, and coached before he defected to Canada in 1980. He was representing that region when he defeated World Champion GM Anatoly Karpov at the Moscow Spartakiad 1979, a team competition across a wide range of sports. That was before it became an independent nation, with the breakup of the Soviet Union in 1991.

It is exceptionally impressive for the Uzbeks to remain unbeaten through ten rounds.

Comment

Uzbekistan ended up winning the open olympiad, deservedly so and undefeated. The womens was won by Ukraine also undefeated.
            Nordirbek Abdusattorov on top board for Uzbekistan had a great result and will now be one of the newest members of the 2700 club.
            Last edited by Hans Jung; Tuesday, 9th August, 2022, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Armenia tied for first in points in the open olympiad but had the slightly worse tie break. Imagine - and that without Levon Aronian.
              The US missed the medals on both teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
                I believe Uzbekistan is where GM Igor Ivanov lived, played, and coached before he defected to Canada in 1980. He was representing that region when he defeated World Champion GM Anatoly Karpov at the Moscow Spartakiad 1979, a team competition across a wide range of sports. That was before it became an independent nation, with the breakup of the Soviet Union in 1991.

It is exceptionally impressive for the Uzbeks to remain unbeaten through ten rounds.
                Ivanov was originally from Leningrad. They only major team events I could find him in was that 1979 Spartakiad, in which he scored 4/7, playing board 1 for Uzbekistan. He also played board 5 in the 1971 USSR Team championship for "Trud" - scoring 1/3 in the semis, and 0.5/5 in the finals. The "Trud" club was based in the RSFSR (today's "Russia"), probably in Leningrad or Moscow.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post

Ivanov was originally from Leningrad. They only major team events I could find him in was that 1979 Spartakiad, in which he scored 4/7, playing board 1 for Uzbekistan. He also played board 5 in the 1971 USSR Team championship for "Trud" - scoring 1/3 in the semis, and 0.5/5 in the finals. The "Trud" club was based in the RSFSR (today's "Russia"), probably in Leningrad or Moscow.
                  While wiki has no entry for Trud, it has a more general article about amateur sport clubs on Soviets
                  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volu...e_Soviet_Union
                  Trud (labour) was n Russia and Uzbekistan had (labour) Trud too

Comment

Working...
                  X