Lasker's Voice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lasker's Voice

At Edward Winter's semi-defunct Chess History website there is a recording of Lasker's voice in C.N. 11905.

https://www.chesshistory.com/winter/index.html
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

A bonus! Near the end of the recording Lasker mentions Euwe. Over the years I've read some online discussions about the proper pronunciation of Euwe's name: ewe (like the sheep), you've, you-vuh, erv, oiwuh, oive, etc. Now we have the definitive answer from someone who knew Euwe: ER-vuh.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

There was a man who used to attend and watch, though not play, the Toronto tournaments back in the 1990s and it WAS Lasker. This was too close a resemblance to be a doppelganger, it had to be the resurrection of the man himself. :) Deen Hergott once told me that he actually went up to this man and said "Hello Mr. Lasker" and the man simply smiled. Does anyone remember this person?

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
        ..... Does anyone remember this person?
        My wife might. I'll Lasker. : l

Comment

Yes I saw him at many tournaments in Toronto but I never saw him play, he only watched. They say we have 5 twins so this could be one of Lasker's.

Comment

When I was studying Architecture I slummed for a brief while studying the programs of Bauhaus. Walter Gropius is an interesting figure. Art into Industry, had a fascination to me. I came up through the Frank Lloyd Wright School of Architecture any tangential writings about Bauhaus I also vigorously studied.

Whilst looking into Bauhaus I discovered Johannes Itten and using typography as a textural visual element apart from typography. One of his students was Else Lasker-Schüler ... was the wife of Jonathan Berthold Lasker, Emanuel Lasker's older bother.

This thread all that came flooding back, ha!

Else Lasker-Schüler

Lasker's voice.

Comment

Working...
            X