Your Special Favourite Chess Set?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Special Favourite Chess Set?

Most of us will be in possession of one particular chess set that is very special to ourselves, our favourite.

My own was purchased at the CFC office in 1990 from Gordon Taylor. The pieces are/were named the "India Wood Set" I believe, made with boxwood and shisham (spelling?). The board I picked up at the CFC a couple of years later while I was working there. And to this day I have used this set exclusively for all of my analysis, play at home and teaching at home. What is most meaningful to myself is the fact that four IMs, namely Nickoloff, Hergott, O'Donnell and Schleifer have graced the set with their play/analysis, as have other famous playing personages such as Manon Leger, Vesma Baltgailis, Dave Gordon and our very own Hans Jung. Further, world renowned Arbiters such as Hal Bond and Aris Marghetis have handled this particular set. There is tremendous energy and life in this special chess set, at least for myself. The pawns are not all exactly the same shape, the Black Queen has a little flaw, the White King has suffered some damage, some of the weight inserts are loose... it is my unique set and it is perfect!! In fact, Grandmasterov himself has twiddled haplessly with this set as well.

What about you?

What a wonderful thread idea Brad!!

When I started grade 7, I discovered chess, and one after another, I borrowed every chess book from the school library (there were not very many lol) - I don't know where they got it from, but my parents got me a folding wooden board, but with metallic squares and pieces with magnets. It was one foot square, and I STILL use that board when I'm "doing" chess in a not-perfect-desk setting!

I remember that summer, I played in monthly "mini-tournoi"s in Montreal. The first one I finished 0-3, but the second one, I finished 2.5-0.5 - I still have that "mini" trophy in the shape of a knight!

After about 25 years, the wood disintegrated, but the glorious original magnetized pieces are so good, that I bought a new board-box (from Strategy games), and I keep using the original pieces!

Comment

For the 2000 Canadian open, the organizing committee purchased very nice double weighted sets and boards to be used on the demo boards. At the end of the event, these were distributed to the organizing committee, and I still use mine today. If nothing else, it reminds me the potential to play like a grandmaster exists within those pieces, despite no such evidence in the subsequent 20+ years.

Comment

If you are interested in what chess players have in common. Find chess set for sale in kijiji. Thousands trying to get rid of those clinging glass or marble sets.
        Many use these as a Livingroom showpiece.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
          In fact, Grandmasterov himself has twiddled haplessly with this set as well.

Sanctuary ... the chess board and its pieces are.

Sanctuary of expression.

Game scores are your chapters and your verses of expression.

Some more fanciful than others.

Who am I?

Me to enlighten you?

The Cult - She Sells Sanctuary
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANQj_ppku9o

Last edited by Neil Frarey; Thursday, 15th September, 2022, 01:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post

Sanctuary ... the chess board and its pieces are.

Sanctuary of expression.

Game scores are your chapters and your verses of expression.

Some more fanciful than others.

Who am I?

Me to enlighten you?

The Cult - She Sells Sanctuary
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANQj_ppku9o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_ZFZcxsIdE

Comment

My favorite chess board was a board with giant pieces which I picked up at the 1981 Canadian Open in St Anne de Beaupre (near Quebec City) It was a deal at $150 for the set and a Koopman clock. The kings stood two feet high, the queens slightly less, the pawns a foot high. The board was a rough vinyl (very thick and sturdy) dark brown and light beige squares with black edging and the size of the board was five feet squared. It was fun to play on and great to analyse on and stood in many of my living rooms. I moved at least 40 times in 35 years so that was a pain but it was often stored in my parents basement when I had to move suddenly. It disappeared when I got to Kitchener in one of my first moves there (I had plenty of help in my moves and somebody got a bonus and I hope they are still enjoying it) In one sense I didnt care because at Kitchener City Hall we had two giant chess sets that I used almost every day during the summer and could borrow anytime.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                ..... I moved at least 40 times in 35 years so that was a pain but it was often stored in my parents basement when I had to move suddenly. .....
                Omigosh!! I feel exhausted just reading that. Were you in the witness protection program?
                :)
                "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

You might think that (smile) No, never had much money so had roommates or just a room , especially in Toronto, so I never really settled anywhere until I got to Kitchener.

Comment

I was just given (about a week ago) a ceramic chess set. Its beautifully painted and balanced and I thought I would try it out on my study table. Well after much clinking I gave up on the idea of using it as my go to analysis set. It just isnt comfortable enough. Does anybody else have a favorite ceramic set? Why do you like it more than others?

Comment

Working...
                    X