Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question

Once again it's time for me to prove that I'm a total idiot when it comes to chess. The diagram is exercise 10-6 in Yusupov's 'Build Up Your Chess 1 - The Fundamentals'. I don't own a chess engine/program so I'm asking you people a question. Yusupov says that Black is lost after 1. Kc6 because Black loses the opposition. But why can't Black retain the opposition with 1. ... Kg8? Yusupov doesn't consider this move. Please help to enlighten a chess idiot - me. How does White win after 1. ... Kg8?

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Duh. Sorry to bother everyone. In one line White can force Black to play ...g5, losing. This getting old business isn't all it's cracked up to be!
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Working...
    X