online courses recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• online courses recommendations

Hello, looking for recommendations to online sites where I can work through courses at my own pace.

I would be accessing via Chrome-on-Windows and I DON'T need to be able to play on the same site.

Thanks in advance, kind regards, Aris Marghetis (rating range of 1700-2000 for most of my adult life)

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    Hello, looking for recommendations to online sites where I can work through courses at my own pace.

I would be accessing via Chrome-on-Windows and I DON'T need to be able to play on the same site.

Thanks in advance, kind regards, Aris Marghetis (rating range of 1700-2000 for most of my adult life)
    Chessable is an excellent option, IMHO ; they have a wide variety of courses on different topics across various levels .

https://www.chessable.com/courses/

Comment

Last edited by Neil Frarey; Sunday, 18th September, 2022, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Hey Aris, a little shameless self-promotion here but the candidate master level course may suit you :) Mike Ivanov | Head Coach at Canada Youth Chess Club | Udemy

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
          Let me try this again without crashing our server, sigh.

Perhaps something for you Aris over on our CHESS METRO website ...

https://chessmetro.com/

... we're honored to support those who have allowed us to participate in their chess ecosystems with our LEARN page ...

https://chessmetro.com/learn/

Website still in dev ... ahem ... currently optimized for 17" screen 1920 by 1080

Comment

Thanks everyone!

I don't mind paying, hoping more for a membership-style option to take online lessons when I can/want (as I travel quite a bit, and do so irregularly)

Has anyone around my rating tried Mike's program?!
            Please email me at arismarghetis at rogers dot com
            Last edited by Aris Marghetis; Sunday, 18th September, 2022, 03:53 PM.

Comment

I bought Chessable courses made from "100 Endgames You Must Know", and Silecki's "Lifetime Repertoire: Nimzo-Ragozin", and have also tried many of their "Short and Sweet" opening courses.

I find the endgame course frustrating and the opening courses not much help at understand or memorizing their openings. It is entirely possible both of these responses are due to a mismatch with my default learning style, or a hard-coded limit to my character definition.

In many positions in 100 Endgames, there are several equally good moves, but the Chessable system accepts only one move, the other winning/drawing moves are marked as "alternatives". I get frustrated when I (e.g.) make a pass move with a rook on a rank or file and the first four moves I pick are all "alternatives". [You can even find a video of Carlsen having this problem in a vid he recorded for them after buying Chessable.] In cases like this, it seems to me that Chessable is trying to get users to memorize precise move sequences, rather than know how to win/draw a position, and this does not seem like an optimal way to teach or learn endgames.

The opening courses are similar, in that most give only one move for any response by the opponent, so you are tested on whether you have memorized the author's chosen response for each position arising out of the opening. I think this is a more reasonable requirement for an opening course than an endgame course: memorizing a well-made opening course will get you a decent position from the opening until your opponent deviates. I think this may be especially true for courses on very sharp and theoretical openings, where the cost of one inaccuracy is 1/2 point.

Unfortunately for me, my wetware seems to require a scaffolding of verbal descriptions on which to hang the sometimes-crazy variations, and I have not found a Chessable course which provides enough of this. It is possible that courses which teach "formula" openings -- London, Colle, Benko, KIA, QGD exchange -- offer the kind of detailed strategic descriptions I'd like, but the opening courses I have tried are not formulaic, but lead to many different kinds of early middlegame clashes, and the authors might not think it worthwhile to try to give descriptions of all those variations.

YMMV. If you'd benefit from regular reminders to review your openings, and want an automated system to score your progress, Chessable may be for you. I suggest trying their free "Short and Sweet" courses and judge for yourself.

Comment

While it is not online course but "old good" books - Yusupov course from Quality Chess. A lecture with ~12 exercises. I think right now it consists of 10 books.

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
                  I bought Chessable courses made from "100 Endgames You Must Know", and Silecki's "Lifetime Repertoire: Nimzo-Ragozin", and have also tried many of their "Short and Sweet" opening courses.

I find the endgame course frustrating and the opening courses not much help at understand or memorizing their openings. It is entirely possible both of these responses are due to a mismatch with my default learning style, or a hard-coded limit to my character definition.

In many positions in 100 Endgames, there are several equally good moves, but the Chessable system accepts only one move, the other winning/drawing moves are marked as "alternatives". I get frustrated when I (e.g.) make a pass move with a rook on a rank or file and the first four moves I pick are all "alternatives". [You can even find a video of Carlsen having this problem in a vid he recorded for them after buying Chessable.] In cases like this, it seems to me that Chessable is trying to get users to memorize precise move sequences, rather than know how to win/draw a position, and this does not seem like an optimal way to teach or learn endgames.

The opening courses are similar, in that most give only one move for any response by the opponent, so you are tested on whether you have memorized the author's chosen response for each position arising out of the opening. I think this is a more reasonable requirement for an opening course than an endgame course: memorizing a well-made opening course will get you a decent position from the opening until your opponent deviates. I think this may be especially true for courses on very sharp and theoretical openings, where the cost of one inaccuracy is 1/2 point.

Unfortunately for me, my wetware seems to require a scaffolding of verbal descriptions on which to hang the sometimes-crazy variations, and I have not found a Chessable course which provides enough of this. It is possible that courses which teach "formula" openings -- London, Colle, Benko, KIA, QGD exchange -- offer the kind of detailed strategic descriptions I'd like, but the opening courses I have tried are not formulaic, but lead to many different kinds of early middlegame clashes, and the authors might not think it worthwhile to try to give descriptions of all those variations.

YMMV. If you'd benefit from regular reminders to review your openings, and want an automated system to score your progress, Chessable may be for you. I suggest trying their free "Short and Sweet" courses and judge for yourself.
                  Thank you for your insightful comments ... I know that at the rudimentary chess.com lessons, I also get frustrated that I need to remember the author's encoded single choice for next move.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                    While it is not online course but "old good" books - Yusupov course from Quality Chess. A lecture with ~12 exercises. I think right now it consists of 10 books.
                    Thanks Egis ... for now, I'm working through Silman's Reassess 4, it's enjoyable and seems appropriate.

Comment

Working...
                    X