• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alex Ferreira
    replied
    Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
    Thanks, Aris.

You will have a longer time frame to put this one together, following rushed situations in both 2019 and 2022.

One aspect I definitely want to see included in the 2023 Championship in Kingston is a playoff provision for the top section. This was the biggest shortcoming of the 2022 event, when a tiebreak decided the outcome at the top of the Canadian Zonal. A spot on the Olympiad team, a spot in the 2023 World Cup -- both decided by an obscure formula. That is unacceptable. Playoffs had been held in the past in Canadian Championships, so why not in 2022? I know the one from 2017 in Montreal, between GM Sambuev and IM Noritsyn, had an especially smelly outcome. But that situation is no reason to stay away from future playoffs. If required by a tie at the top, a properly conducted playoff, at a G/30' + 10" control, for example, as in 2004, would be the fitting conclusion.
    Hi Frank,

Purely from a sporting / spectator point of view, there might be something positive about watching some rapids / blitz / armageddon tie-breaks. An argument can also be made about deciding the top prize over-the-board between the two (or however many) direct contenders who tied for 1st.

However, it takes away from the fact that the tournament should be decided in classical. It is a classical time control event. Should someone's rapid or blitz superior skills be what makes someone the champion? I absolutely hate that the World Championships - Anand vs Gelfand, Carlsen vs Karjakin, Carlsen vs Caruana - were decided in rapid time controls. But a match is also different because... what else? Personally I'd like to see a World Championship where the rapids are played at the beginning, so that the Classical Match is never tied.

But in a big Swiss, such as the Zonal, other tiebreaks carry much deeper weight. As they should. Performance, performance of opposition, cumulative scores tell a lot more about someone's tournament, than a blitz game that could go either way.

Hypothetical but possible scenario: Two players finish 7.0/9. Why should one of two contenders, who started 5.0/5 and then drew the last 4 games, painfully playing all the top players of the tournament round by round, have to play a tie-breaker with someone who may have lost the first two games, and then scored 7.0/7, but having quite the easy road of opponents for much of the tournament?

The World knock-out event (which used to have 128 players, now might be expanded) is the only type of event that I enjoy seeing rapid / blitz tie-breaks. But it's made that way, people know it, and the classical is already too short anyway. But otherwise I am of the opinion that... let Classical stay Classical.

Alex Ferreira

Leave a comment:

• Aris Marghetis
    replied
    Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post

I thought that the zonal is only every second year so that the 2023 Canadian Championship is not a zonal and doesn't qualify anybody to the 2023 World Cup.or the 2024 Olympiad in Budapest.
    The pandemic mixed up the alternating rotation between Zonal and Women Zonal, so I don't know yet.

Leave a comment:

• Erik Malmsten
    replied
    Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
    Thanks, Aris.

You will have a longer time frame to put this one together, following rushed situations in both 2019 and 2022.

One aspect I definitely want to see included in the 2023 Championship in Kingston is a playoff provision for the top section. This was the biggest shortcoming of the 2022 event, when a tiebreak decided the outcome at the top of the Canadian Zonal. A spot on the Olympiad team, a spot in the 2023 World Cup -- both decided by an obscure formula. That is unacceptable. Playoffs had been held in the past in Canadian Championships, so why not in 2022? I know the one from 2017 in Montreal, between GM Sambuev and IM Noritsyn, had an especially smelly outcome. But that situation is no reason to stay away from future playoffs. If required by a tie at the top, a properly conducted playoff, at a G/30' + 10" control, for example, as in 2004, would be the fitting conclusion.
    I thought that the zonal is only every second year so that the 2023 Canadian Championship is not a zonal and doesn't qualify anybody to the 2023 World Cup.or the 2024 Olympiad in Budapest.

Leave a comment:

• Frank Dixon
    replied
    Thanks, Aris.

Leave a comment:

• Aris Marghetis
    started a topic Kingston Easter Chess (KEC) 2023 - save the dates

Kingston Easter Chess (KEC) 2023 - save the dates

Hello everyone, I'm already getting emails about this, so here they are:

April 5th-10th, 2023

Details coming later, there are hotel renovation / new ownership angles.
Working...
X