X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kingston Easter Chess (KEC) 2023 - save the dates

Hello everyone, I'm already getting emails about this, so here they are:

April 5th-10th, 2023

Details coming later, there are hotel renovation / new ownership angles.

Thanks, Aris.

You will have a longer time frame to put this one together, following rushed situations in both 2019 and 2022.

One aspect I definitely want to see included in the 2023 Championship in Kingston is a playoff provision for the top section. This was the biggest shortcoming of the 2022 event, when a tiebreak decided the outcome at the top of the Canadian Zonal. A spot on the Olympiad team, a spot in the 2023 World Cup -- both decided by an obscure formula. That is unacceptable. Playoffs had been held in the past in Canadian Championships, so why not in 2022? I know the one from 2017 in Montreal, between GM Sambuev and IM Noritsyn, had an especially smelly outcome. But that situation is no reason to stay away from future playoffs. If required by a tie at the top, a properly conducted playoff, at a G/30' + 10" control, for example, as in 2004, would be the fitting conclusion.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
      Thanks, Aris.

You will have a longer time frame to put this one together, following rushed situations in both 2019 and 2022.

One aspect I definitely want to see included in the 2023 Championship in Kingston is a playoff provision for the top section. This was the biggest shortcoming of the 2022 event, when a tiebreak decided the outcome at the top of the Canadian Zonal. A spot on the Olympiad team, a spot in the 2023 World Cup -- both decided by an obscure formula. That is unacceptable. Playoffs had been held in the past in Canadian Championships, so why not in 2022? I know the one from 2017 in Montreal, between GM Sambuev and IM Noritsyn, had an especially smelly outcome. But that situation is no reason to stay away from future playoffs. If required by a tie at the top, a properly conducted playoff, at a G/30' + 10" control, for example, as in 2004, would be the fitting conclusion.
      I thought that the zonal is only every second year so that the 2023 Canadian Championship is not a zonal and doesn't qualify anybody to the 2023 World Cup.or the 2024 Olympiad in Budapest.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post

I thought that the zonal is only every second year so that the 2023 Canadian Championship is not a zonal and doesn't qualify anybody to the 2023 World Cup.or the 2024 Olympiad in Budapest.
        The pandemic mixed up the alternating rotation between Zonal and Women Zonal, so I don't know yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
          Thanks, Aris.

Hi Frank,

Purely from a sporting / spectator point of view, there might be something positive about watching some rapids / blitz / armageddon tie-breaks. An argument can also be made about deciding the top prize over-the-board between the two (or however many) direct contenders who tied for 1st.

However, it takes away from the fact that the tournament should be decided in classical. It is a classical time control event. Should someone's rapid or blitz superior skills be what makes someone the champion? I absolutely hate that the World Championships - Anand vs Gelfand, Carlsen vs Karjakin, Carlsen vs Caruana - were decided in rapid time controls. But a match is also different because... what else? Personally I'd like to see a World Championship where the rapids are played at the beginning, so that the Classical Match is never tied.

But in a big Swiss, such as the Zonal, other tiebreaks carry much deeper weight. As they should. Performance, performance of opposition, cumulative scores tell a lot more about someone's tournament, than a blitz game that could go either way.

Hypothetical but possible scenario: Two players finish 7.0/9. Why should one of two contenders, who started 5.0/5 and then drew the last 4 games, painfully playing all the top players of the tournament round by round, have to play a tie-breaker with someone who may have lost the first two games, and then scored 7.0/7, but having quite the easy road of opponents for much of the tournament?

The World knock-out event (which used to have 128 players, now might be expanded) is the only type of event that I enjoy seeing rapid / blitz tie-breaks. But it's made that way, people know it, and the classical is already too short anyway. But otherwise I am of the opinion that... let Classical stay Classical.

Alex Ferreira

Comment

If there is a Tie then I'd like to see two more Classical games and if still tied then use the tie break system. Rapid blitz and armageddon should not be used in Classical chess events.
            The tied players have played head to head so the tie break method would be easier to use.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
              If there is a Tie then I'd like to see two more Classical games and if still tied then use the tie break system.
              I'd like it if the players could afford to change their travel plans and book off an extra day for their playoff match, and if the organizers could cover the extra costs.

I'd also like to be 20 years younger; but let's be realistic... I'll settle for ten.

Comment

Hello.

End of November, I suffered a severe medical incident.
                I should recover fully, but it will take several months.
                So I'm resigning-retiring from Kingston Easter Chess.
                I advised the CFC of this decision on December 16th.
                I don't know what alternative plans are in the works.
                I'm sure that they'll announce when they've decided.

Best.

Comment

HI Aris, wish you a speedy recovery. take care.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Qian View Post
                    HI Aris, wish you a speedy recovery. take care.
                    Thank you very much Denny, much appreciated.

Comment

I'm deeply sorry to hear that. I've heard from lots of people that you're an amazing organizer and arbiter, and the community really wishes you are able to host such a prestigious tournament.
                      Last edited by Richard Holman; Saturday, 14th January, 2023, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Holman View Post
                        I'm deeply sorry to hear that. I've heard from lots of people that you're an amazing organizer and arbiter, and the community really wishes you are able to host such a prestigious tournament.
                        Thank you so much Richard for your very kind words.
                        From my side, yes, I simply loved running that event!

Comment

Aris, I am truly sorry to hear that your health problems will prevent you from running the 2023 Kingston Easter Championships and Festival.

Please get well soon.

I had a minor role as a member of the Appeals' Committee for both the 2019 and 2022 events in Kingston, which were both brilliant successes.

Aris, as an IA / IO, is one of Canada's most skilled, experienced, energetic, and enthusiastic organizers, and it was a true pleasure to be associated with him in Kingston.

Both Kingston events had a very high quality -- excellent site and conditions, excellent organizational team, excellent fighting chess, and excellent player conduct.

Many dozens will be disappointed in this unfortunate situation. It is a big loss for Kingston as well, since those two prior events provided a significant sports tourism boost to the local economy.

I had hoped to play in 2023, and have been spending a couple of hours per day on chess, for the past few weeks, for the first time in many years.

Comment

I had been unable to play in either 2019 or 2022.

But I had it in my calendar for this year......I had heard it was a great tournament.

Bob A

Comment

Why Don't they try and get another Arbiter and if they secure one or more then book the site etc. Is there still time left to do this?

Comment

Working...
                              X