Free tournament in Kingston Sat. Oct. 1!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free tournament in Kingston Sat. Oct. 1!!

I know this post may run afoul of the board administrators, who now want money for tournament postings. Please leave this up.

But there is no entry fee being charged for this Saturday's blitz tournament in Kingston, organized by the Queen's University Chess Club.

I just heard about this. It will run from 3-6 p.m., Saturday, October 1, at the Stauffer Library, basement, on Main Campus, NW corner of University Avenue and Union Street, Kingston.

Time controls: G/10' + 5" increment. Sections: Over 1800, Under 1400, U1200 and unrated. There will apparently be some small, non-cash prizes.

Further details on the Queen's University Chess Club Facebook page. Dennis of QUCC is the organizer / TD; he is an experienced player with a rating about 1800. I don't know his surname.

Dennis has also started organizing a longer time control event for early January 2023 at Queen's, on a weekend to avoid the already announced 2023 Winter Open in Ottawa.

If you wish to play, and are travelling from out of town, via Highway 401, take the Division Street exit, go south, and follow it to its end, the intersection with Union Street. Turn right on Union, go for two blocks, and the building will be on your right, just past University Avenue. Free parking on campus on weekends!! This is sure to be fun!!

hello chess fans !!

I just played in this tourney and had a
    great time.
    There was an excellent turnout of over 30 people ! ,well done to the TD and his team !
    A we bit diiapointed that more Kingston Chess Club members didnt take part ..oh well.
    Looking forward to next year !

Comment

As Ray wrote, it was indeed a very nice event. Several people from outside Kingston played. They had a wonderful site, quiet, excellent lighting, with tables and chairs already in place. Excellent organization from the QUCC!! The site could handle up to 50 players comfortably. The Kingston Chess Club lent our sets and clocks to the QUCC for the occasion.
      I was feeling ill, so limited my involvement to donating a book prize to the organizers: 'The Art of Checkmate', new algebraic edition. It was happily received.
      It may have been too short a notice for many Kingston Chess Club members. The very fast time control is also a problem for those over age 40.

Comment

Working...
      X