Chess Informant brokerage fees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess Informant brokerage fees?

I got the latest Chess Informant 153 with disk today and for the first time ever was required to pay a fee of $21.16 described as duties and taxes by the driver. This does not make sense as the tax on books is 5% HST and the tax on software is 5% on the media (about 20 cents value or one penny in HST). Has anyone else experienced this recently or ever? In the 1990s I occasionally got dinged with such charges with certain carriers and stopped using those carriers.

The driver who remembered delivering to me previously said that if this was a mistake I could get a refund.

I have put in an inquiry to Chess Informant who are usually quite good in responding to service requests.

I avoid anything coming in except by mail. In my experience, anything that a UPS/FedEx/etc touches generally has had a crazy brokerage fee attached to it.

Comment

People still buy Informants? I remember in the 70's lining up to get the latest copy from the late great Zoltan Sarosy. It used to give you a competitive advantage for about 1 month. Nice to know they have survived Chessbase.

Comment

They have added English language annotations and a copy of all the features and games accessible in chessbase format though occasionally the installation fails and you have to install manually. I find it useful in finding games to use when I teach.

I have heard back from the Informant people and they are looking into it and will get back to me shortly once they know more.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Sharpe View Post
          I avoid anything coming in except by mail. In my experience, anything that a UPS/FedEx/etc touches generally has had a crazy brokerage fee attached to it.
          Yes, and this is why I avoid certain vendors who insist on using certain carriers. This is the first time I had a problem with DHS which is the carrier used. I believe that I have been subscribed to Chess Informant since visiting their booth at the 2016 Chess Olympiad in Azerbaijan without such fees being applied.

Comment

Working...
          X