Michael Basman passes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Basman passes

https://www.chess.com/news/view/mich...sman-1946-2022 Michael Basman was a real character. I knew him as a chess trivia expert and also lost to him with his pet "g5". Rest in Peace Michael.

I remember looking at a number of Basman games a long time ago when I first took chess seriously. He always played on the wings, and I do not know if I ever saw a game where he castled. Hans, when playing someone with this style, should one seek to push as many pawns as possible through the centre, and open the centre up with exchanges of pawns if possible, thus trying to force the opponent to castle?

Comment

I dont know Brad. In general thats the theory but in practice it was never easy (for me).

Comment

RIP. I remember him from playing in the British Championships in the 1980's. A true pioneer and original thinker.

Comment

I remember in the 1990s really enjoying his book on the Grob.
          Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Friday, 28th October, 2022, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Michael Basman's lifespan was 1946-2022, and he earned the IM title in 1980. No question that he was one of the most original thinkers and practitioners in the openings in chess history. His best domestic result was a tie for first in the 1973 British Championship, losing the playoff match to IM William Hartston. He was a prolific author, often writing about his experimental openings. I bought his book on the St. George Defense, in the wake of GM Miles' 1980 victory with it over World Champion GM Anatoly Karpov, and adopted some of his ideas, more into the style of Owen's Defense, which is slightly less provocative, but also comparatively unexplored. He was described on the chessbase.com remembrance as being part of the generation with GMs Miles, Nunn and Speelman, but was about ten years older than that trio. A more accurate description for him would be as part of a English trio with IM Hartston (born 1947) and GM Raymond Keene (born 1948), along with Scottish IM David N.L. Levy. Britain was by the mid-1960s starting to develop a large group of very strong young players.
            Rest In Peace, IM Basman. You can be proud of your chess contributions and achievements!!

Comment

Working...
            X