Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bobby Fischer the early years

https://bobby-fischer-1957.blogspot....x1O4NTlBdjwoHo

Early Bobby Fischer games and pictures for those interested.

Fischer's USCF rating in May 1956 was 1726; he was then age 13 years, two months. Twenty months later, in January 1958, following a very busy competitive program, Fischer was U.S.A. champion, two months before his 15th birthday, and had earned the IM title for that performance. It was an improvement curve unmatched in chess history. Nine months after that, Fischer became a GM with his Portoroz Interzonal performance, which qualified him into the 1959 Candidates' Tournament. All this time later, those achievements still command awe!!!

Comment

I once saw an internet thread along the lines of "What real thing happened that if they made a movie about it, you'd dismiss as "too unrealistic"". The Fischer story of essentially raising himself in NY, then beating the entire Soviet machine for the world championship was my first thought.

Comment

David, that is a very perceptive observation. I have long believed that Fischer's climb to the World Chess Championship, from where he started as a young boy, overcoming Soviet collusion and vast resources, defeating a squadron of opposing world-class GMs who were state funded, is the greatest success story in the history of competitive sports.

And on a non-sports theme, for 'what real thing happened that if they made a movie about it, you'd dismiss as "too unrealistic"', I offer the candidacy, presidency, and aftermath of American Donald Trump, which is still in progress. All political fiction of the future is now superfluous to our current situation; every new Trump story development is simply better than any fiction could be.

Comment

Working...
        X