GM Aman chessboxing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM Aman chessboxing

https://en.chessbase.com/post/mogul-...in-los-angeles Now thats promotion!

Brings back memories. In 2003 Neil MacLeod, president of the KW Chess Club, thought of a great promotional idea. He wanted to do a charity event at Kitchener City Hall with chessboxing. He wanted Lennox Lewis to box blindfolded and of course me to do chess blindfolded. It was definitely a go for me as I thought I could survive long enough to deliver checkmate to Lennox but there was no reply to Neil's contact letter. (on hindsight it was probably a good thing it didnt happen as my brains might have gotten scrambled more than they already are)

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
      Hope Aman's opponent doesn't pop him one in the benonis.
      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

https://www.chess.com/news/view/mogu...ambleton-trent Aman obviously was aroused! Will he now contemplate a new career in chessboxing? (or go out a perfect winner?)

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
          https://www.chess.com/news/view/mogu...ambleton-trent Aman obviously was aroused! Will he now contemplate a new career in chessboxing? (or go out a perfect winner?)
          I hope not. That is dangerous. Someone can really get hurt when you put untrained fighters in the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post

I hope not. That is dangerous. Someone can really get hurt when you put untrained fighters in the ring.
            Although entertaining, it is quite barbaric. We do not need punch drunk chess players or concussed. It looked like a sold out arena, so it is more likely to grow in popularity than fade.

Comment

I agree with the posts above. Putting untrained people in the ring is a bad idea.

Comment

Hmmm...does anyone here read Cecil Rosner's Friday column in The Globe & Mail...He did an article on this on Dec. 3rd.

According to some sources, Aman has a net worth of 5 million dollars at the age of 29! His birthday is around the corner. From the rumor mill, in the early days of his time on twitch, a fan offered him $1,200 U,S, if he cut off his hair...naturally that was an easy one for him :).

I would love to have hair that I could cut LOL.

I have never understood this social media thing but I am happy that Canadian chessplayers are successful at it!

Larry

Comment

Thanks for sharing Larry. I need to read Cecil's column more. As to Aman: 5 million hard to believe but good on him!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post

Although entertaining, it is quite barbaric. We do not need punch drunk chess players or concussed. It looked like a sold out arena, so it is more likely to grow in popularity than fade.
                    I didn't watch the whole thing but focused on Aman and Andrea's fights. In the case of Aman, he was younger and more aggressive and did not adequately protect his head. Against a better trained opponent he could have been hurt as he was attacking and not protecting himself very well. His opponent clearly, though physically larger should not have been in that ring. He couldn't defend himself at points in that fight and the ref made the right decision, though the player did not agree. Andrea's opponent was just hanging on for dear life but managed to run away enough to deliver the mate.

I never got the hang of boxing though I did try it when I was very young maybe ten years of age without any training (beyond some judo) or protection at a YMCA activity class that was not adequately supervised with some teenagers in charge. Given that my knowledge was attained from Three Stooges episodes I thought the idea was to try to knock the opponent out. I knocked my opponent down several times and made him cry but lost on points because I was looking for the Curly knockout. If the referee was not the brother of the kid I was fighting I suspect I would have won the fight as the points did not actually touch me. Later I tried it when I was older and out of shape and held my own against a formidable opponent but couldn't really get the rhythm right because I kept wanting to kick due to karate training but of course that was not allowed.

Comment

Working...
                    X