Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improve Your Chess Now - The Book - Depth of Visuaization and analysis

Greetings...

I have this book by Jonathan Tisdall. It documents his efforts to achieve the GM title in his 40s. Tisdall, and many others, seems pretty critical of Kotov's methods in TLAGM, especially his "tree of analysis" approach.

What is most interesting to me is chapter 2, which claims that depth of visualization and analysis can be exercised, like a muscle, and the way to do this is be playing lots of blindfold chess.

I will be digging into this book soon, and posting about it here. I was wondering if any of you, esp Mr Jung, our resident blindfold expert, has anything to say about this book.

Best wishes
    Fred.

This is an excellent book. I like the mating and tactical patterns in the appendix which I find a very good introduction to tactics for beginning students. Many of these are taken from Vladimir Vukovich's Art of Attack which is also an excellent manual for beginners. The Greek gift chapter from Vukovich is another one which I usually add for beginners.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
      This is an excellent book. I like the mating and tactical patterns in the appendix which I find a very good introduction to tactics for beginning students. Many of these are taken from Vladimir Vukovich's Art of Attack which is also an excellent manual for beginners. The Greek gift chapter from Vukovich is another one which I usually add for beginners.
      Thanks Vlad. The tactical themes and mating patterns are quite simple, just a minor appendix. Really nothing to do with the meat of the book, which is quite advanced and not for beginners. I'm more interested in discussing his ideas on blindfold chess and visualization at the moment.

Comment

I havent seen Improve Your Chess Now so I cant objectively comment on the book. If you can paraphrase or quote I'll be happy to discuss.

Comment

The opening paragraph of Chapter 2 is as follows...

"Here I want to discuss the major set of middlegame muscles - the powers of clarity and depth of calculation. Like any other muscle group, it can be exercised and its strength increased. In my opinion, the most reliable method to do this is by directed blindfold practice.

later he says "there can be no doubt that it is a visual skill, and honing it can only be beneficial.

later still... "It is intriguing to note the habit of certain young players (Shirov, Ivanchuk, and Svidler) who often calculate by suddenly staring into space..."

later there is a section on something he calls "stepping stone diagrams" whereby one "resets" the mind's eye on the position at which you begin to lose focus.

Then there is several pages of examples...

Comment

I agree with everything you have quoted.

I never used the description stepping stone diagrams but its totally familiar to me. When I teach blindfold chess I tell students to practice using this method. Take a book of miniature games and read a chosen game until you cant visualize any more (maybe first time 8 moves?) That position becomes your stepping stone diagram. Next time (after resting - on first time you will probably not want to do anymore that day - so wait a day, but after that you only have to wait about half an hour) you continue from the stepping stone diagram as far as you can go - and then repeat the process until you finish the game. By choosing miniature games you should get thru the game in three sessions.
            After a week of doing this every day you should be able to visualize a whole miniature game in one session.
            Reading miniature games is only the start of it.
            Then you can start visualizing analytical positions.

Comment

To start visualizing analytical positions I would suggest first taking a popular author like Lakdawala (one of his books) and start visualizing the game with notes. (his notes are fairly straight forward in terms of analysis and very clear conclusions)
              After a couple of weeks of that the student should be ready to attempt the visualizing of analytical positions. The stepping stone diagrams occur when you have seen as far as you can go in calculations where you see a clear conclusion. Those resulting positions are your stepping stone diagrams and you should check them out on a normal chessboard and write them down.

Comment

Thankas for the tips. I'll mull them over.

Are your suggestions equally valid for a 60+ like me as they are for your younger students? As for using straightforward notes with clear conclusion, I suppose that assists you to keep a picture in my mind?

One of the things I remember Roman Pelts telling me during a lesson, is that it is also your chess knowledge (positional understanding, pattern recognition) that helps you to analze deeper as much as it is pure calculating power. Another was when solving combinations, first solve them in your head, then write down the solution with variations, from memory.

I also look at holistic and nutritional aspects, such as more B12, eating sleeping right, etc. And ease up on the green stuff maybe. :)

What about finding a partner? Is playing lots of blindfold chess helpful? I know lichess has a blindfold feature, I imagine it is just the usual screen, with notation, sans pieces.

I suppose that "conventional wisdom" might say you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I'm expecting a tough slog. We'll see if I have the discipline.

Comment

(as to 60+) It just takes longer and I dont know how comfortable you will be but motivation is the biggest factor (if you have it you can do almost anything). One caveat - as long as it doesnt affect your sleep substantially. The biggest joy is finding a regular partner that gives you a challenge but is fun to play against. Anyways I encourage you to go for it and let me know how you do.

Comment

Will definitely let you know. Probably won't get into Blindfold chess till next year, other aspects of my game need work first.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                      (as to 60+) It just takes longer and I dont know how comfortable you will be but motivation is the biggest factor (if you have it you can do almost anything). One caveat - as long as it doesnt affect your sleep substantially. The biggest joy is finding a regular partner that gives you a challenge but is fun to play against. Anyways I encourage you to go for it and let me know how you do.
                      What about this? After a game is complete, I find it relatively easy enough to replay the game from memory, but in a post-mortem when analyzing a sideline, it is next to impossible for me to get back to the mainline. What does that tell you? Is that typiucal?

Comment

Very common. Even now when Im lacking sleep or on too much medication I have that problem. Its a part of memory. I think if you ask the questions - where was each individual piece in the starting position of analysis you would get correct answers.

Comment

Perhaps when replaying the game we are first of all remembering our thought process, which helps is to rememember not just what we played, but what we would have played?

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Henderson View Post
                            Perhaps when replaying the game we are first of all remembering our thought process, which helps is to rememember not just what we played, but what we would have played?
                            Fred, thank you for that interesting phrase "what we would have played".
                            Does anyone else find when they're looking at one of their not-recent games, that they can't figure out why they played what they did?!
                            Few things make me laugh harder than being clueless about my own games!

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post

Fred, thank you for that interesting phrase "what we would have played".
                              Does anyone else find when they're looking at one of their not-recent games, that they can't figure out why they played what they did?!
                              Few things make me laugh harder than being clueless about my own games!
                              Same thing happens to me all the time. I've been in post mortems where I couldn't figure out what I was trying to do.
                              "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                              "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                              "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Working...
                              X