X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excelsior Chess Club: schedule advice required

Hello,

Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!

Excelsior Chess Club has a permanent establishment in Etobicoke.

I would like your suggestions regarding a schedule for weekdays to accommodate as many players/enthusiasts as possible.

Thank you,
    Nick Oancea

Is there a website?

Oops... my bad: simple Google search coughed up https://excelsiorchessclub.ca
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Sorry Kerry, I forgot the URL: Excelsior Chess Club - Toronto, Ontario

Thank you,
      Nick Oancea

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Oancea View Post
        Sorry Kerry, I forgot the URL: Excelsior Chess Club - Toronto, Ontario

Thank you,
        Nick Oancea
        Thank you Nick and best of luck!
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Wow! Check out the video tour on the home page of https://excelsiorchessclub.ca/ ... real (not vinyl) chessboards for everyone!

Comment

Thank you, Don!

I wonder which of the following schedules 9 am - 9pm or 12 pm - 9pm would be more practical for the chess community?

Comment

You can try to claim a night different than other clubs with CFC-rated tournaments as several players like to be members of more than one club. Probably the biggest conflict would be the same night as the Mississauga Chess Club, so don’t meet on Wednesday nights (They also have youth on Mondays). Annex and Aurora Chess Clubs meet on Mondays, Willowdale on Tuesdays and Saturdays, Burlington Tuesdays, Scarborough Thursdays, while Etobicoke and Hart House students meet on Friday nights. Chess in the Park alternates Saturday and Sunday afternoons. Agincourt on Sundays. So there are no available non-conflicting days!

Back in the day …

Scarborough Chess Club, 300 members, had slow chess tournaments on Tuesday or Thursday evenings and a different tournament on Sunday afternoons, and sometimes blitz chess on Mondays and/or Sundays and/or Tuesdays, open on Saturdays or Friday evenings. Sometimes hosted 1-day or weekend tournaments.

The Central Y/ Toronto Central Chess Club/ Toronto Chess Club, 300 members, was open 7 days a week, run by 9 volunteer shifts. Monday 15-minute, Tuesday Novice 15-minute or 6-player round-robins slow chess (the players all have close ratings), Wednesday 15-minute, Thursday 5-minute, Friday 15-minute, Saturday 5-minute, Sunday Junior, 13 years and under. The biggest event was the Saturday afternoon blitz, 2-5pm (sometimes over 50 players). And later Dutton and Bayview Games Club followed this model. People could buy books and equipment. Selling coffee was a money-maker.

Besides annual club championships, other activities to consider are having group lessons, having space for non-chess board games and jigsaw puzzles, and novelty chess events like youth versus senior or east versus west, simultaneous, handicap, ladder, gambit or all-the-same opening tournaments, Fischer random, bughouse, two or more players alternating moves versus two or more players, blindfold, Kriegspiel, or puzzle-solving contests. Libraries were popular, maybe now have a computer set up for Internet lessons or matches. A long time ago clubs used to have an annual banquet with live music by chess-playing musicians and trophies given out.

Comment

Thank you, Erick!

All ideas to consider.

Comment

Working...
                X