Openings I am happy to face..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Openings I am happy to face..

I can't believe how often I face these worthless openings by 1600+ internet players...

Me as White...

1.Nf3 Nc6? - Horrible. The best Black can hope for is a Chigorin's.

1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 d5? - The Marshall defence. See it very often. I's rather pull a Sir Thomas More than play 2...d5

me as black...

1.e4 c5 2.Bc4? - Garbage. So easy to shut White down, but Black cannot rush things here.

Thank-you :)
    Last edited by Fred Henderson; Friday, 13th January, 2023, 05:07 PM.

Originally posted by Fred Henderson View Post
    I can't believe how often I face these worthless openings by 1600+ internet players...

Me as White...
    At what time control?

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post

At what time control?
      Mostly correspondence chess!

Comment

Here is a typical example. White is 1779 rated. Just got started...

[Event "Let's play chess"]
        [Site "https://gameknot.com/chess.pl?bd=33183894"]
        [Date "2023.01.13"]
        [Round "-"]
        [White "luka032"]
        [Black "fwh062"]
        [Result "*"]
        [WhiteElo "1770"]
        [BlackElo "1674"]
        [TimeControl "1/259200"]
        [Mode "ICS"]
        [Termination "unterminated"] Often

1. e4 c5 2. Bc4 e6 3. d3 a6 4. a4 b6 5. Nf3 d6 *

Key is control of square e5, expect ...Qc7 and Nbd7 next. Black can take his time with his kingside. Often White will try Bf4, but 9 times out of ten black follows with ...Ne5. He has nothing to fear from doubled e-pawns. Theye are unassailable and control the center, and black also benefits from a falf-open d-file.

:)
        Last edited by Fred Henderson; Friday, 13th January, 2023, 06:32 PM.

Comment

As for the Marshall, I think Black is expecting 3.cd Nxd5 4.e4, after which Black apparently gets counterplay with ...e5 somewhere. But Avrukh shows the way with 4.d4 and then e4, White gets total control of the center and rapid development. Black is probably already lost.

Comment

Mostly correspondence chess!
            Oh, that 'time' control.

The 'take-all-day' ... or more ... time control.

Comment

Me as White...

1.Nf3 Nc6? - Horrible. The best Black can hope for is a Chigorin's.

1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 d5? - The Marshall defence. See it very often. I's rather pull a Sir Thomas More than play 2...d5

me as black...

1.e4 c5 2.Bc4? - Garbage. So easy to shut White down, but Black cannot rush things here.

Thank-you :)
              Let me paraphrase this post.

I can't believe how often I see a worthless subtle rant by an 1800 CFC player.

Me as White...

1. Nf3 Nc6 - horrible. I, Fred, get so mad whenever I lose to this garbage opening I'm afraid I'll have to call myself the same

1. Nf3 Nf6 c4 d5 - is a very solid opening. I, Fred, am fortunate to play against a solid opening to reach a draw than to most likely lose.

1. e4 c5 Bc4 - Garbage. Just like my rating. I, Fred, need to rush to at least 2000.

Thank you.

My personal note, do not insult those who stick to their preferences. The beauty in some openings, no matter bad or good, plays a factor in inspiring some players to have fun with the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Holman View Post

Let me paraphrase this post.

I can't believe how often I see a worthless subtle rant by an 1800 CFC player.

Me as White...

1. Nf3 Nc6 - horrible. I, Fred, get so mad whenever I lose to this garbage opening I'm afraid I'll have to call myself the same

1. Nf3 Nf6 c4 d5 - is a very solid opening. I, Fred, am fortunate to play against a solid opening to reach a draw than to most likely lose.

1. e4 c5 Bc4 - Garbage. Just like my rating. I, Fred, need to rush to at least 2000.

Thank you.

My personal note, do not insult those who stick to their preferences. The beauty in some openings, no matter bad or good, plays a factor in inspiring some players to have fun with the game.

I love that last sentence!!!!!

Comment

1.e4 c5 2.Bc4 isn't a bad move, it's just that it's usually played by weak players who don't follow it up well.

Waiting for Black to commit to d6 before playing Bc4 is a very decent idea..for instance 2.Nf3/Nc3 d6 3.Bc4.

1.Nf3 Nc6 does kind of suck for Black. Usually people play the Chigorin to get a complex game, but if White goea d4 and Bf4 you're stuck with a really passive position. Even the Chigorin is not such a great opening, White isn't winning by force or anything but there are maybe a dozen different lines that Black needs to learn to get a playable position. 1.d4 players only need to learn one of the lines to put Black under pressure. You can play it once in awhile as a surprise weapon, but as you main repertoire it's not such a great choice.

1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 d5 is a well-known mistake, I actually think it's a good position for young players to practice to learn the importance of central control.

Comment

Bryon Nickoloff, a 1.d4 player, said that he hated to face the Grunfeld and that he thought it was the "antidote" to 1.d4. When I responded by asking him, why then did he not play the Grunfeld himself, he was without a response. I also remember him saying he loved to face the King's Indian. Nick also believed that 1.d4 was eventually a forced win, and therefore with the Black pieces he preferred to face 1.e4 where he liked his chances better.

Comment

Working...
                    X