Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
    ...winning my game, ...
    Kids today don't study books - they study opponents and databases.
    Noted: deviating as early as possible brings points :)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
      When I was younger, friends told me buying chess books would help me improve. So I bought some chess books. Maybe too many.
      So, there was some improvement, but "diminishing returns" maybe?

But now that I look back over the years, I think I know what went wrong. I have one question.

Was I supposed to read them? :)
      not unless you want to. Mainly they are a status symbol so when you invite chess players into your study they nod with approval.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post

The day I knew my chess peak was passed was playing a tournament, winning my game, and my young opponent asking why I deviated from my usual way of playing that opening. I confidently informed him I'd never played that variation before and he opened his database to show me two games I'd played in the line (both of which I'd played much better in the past than I did against him). Kids today don't study books - they study opponents and databases.
        chuckle, chuckle - that feeling resonates - in a recent game my opponent asked me why I played that way in a line I had played many times before. I basically answered that I couldnt remember any of my previous opening play.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post

chuckle, chuckle - that feeling resonates - in a recent game my opponent asked me why I played that way in a line I had played many times before. I basically answered that I couldnt remember any of my previous opening play.
          Hans, this story isn't directly related to what you and David just shared, but something you said jogged my memory and I thought I'd share this true story. It happened about 45 years ago. I was playing a tournament game against a young player who was well on his way to becoming a master. I made a move, pressed the clock, and was starting to record my move. Suddenly, a spectator lunged toward me, put his face about a foot from mine, and shouted, "Are you fucking nuts??" Back in those days it would have been typical of me to respond with verbal violence but I was so taken aback by this disrespectful interruption that I don't think I said much of anything. Do you remember this incident? You were my opponent. :)
          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
          "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Not that comes to mind now. Was I sitting at the board when this happened?

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
              Not that comes to mind now. Was I sitting at the board when this happened?
              Yes. I thought a bit more about it after posting and my memory banks spit out a name: Fraser Parsons. He was the spectator. **If** I recall correctly, it took you, me, and Ray Ebisuzaki a half minute or so to convince Fraser that he was interrupting a tournament game. After that, Fraser quickly left the room presumably mortified at having made an ass of himself. :)

Now, Hans, let's talk about your memory. It could be the case that you've repressed your memory of this game. Whether tournament, skittles, or blitz, I believe this was the only game I ever won from you!!! I still have the game score (somewhere). To quote Neil Frarey, "Ha!" :)
              "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
              "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
              "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

You are right total repression (and at the time depression) I dont recall any of it. Where was this? YMCA? Anyways congratulations as I probably didnt congratulate you at the time.

Comment

Working...
                X