The 3000 club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 3000 club

Ive been mulling this over for a while but nows the time to post. I am stepping forward and offering anyone who reaches 3000 posts on chesstalk to order a book from Strategy Games and I will foot the bill. Thats right, you choose any chess book and its on me. This is a small reward for those dedicated posters who have done a big part to keep chesstalk going in a positive way. So those of you who are only a part of the way there have something to look forward to. Im glad I made the initial offer to the late Wayne Komer (although he graciously declined) and I would also like to acknowledge Gary Ruben aka Just Wondering the longtime leader of posting on chesstalk who passed away 8 years ago. Does anybody besides me remember Just Wondering?
    So just to clarify if youve already reached 3000 posts and want a book its on me.
    Larry I'm assuming this is ok with you?
    Last edited by Hans Jung; Wednesday, 1st February, 2023, 03:44 PM.

Bob Armstrong

Fb Profile: Bob

Friday, 30th May, 2008 (Join)

4669 Posts (If I read the page right)

Can I claim a prize, Hans? - I'd like it to be a book prize at Scarborough CC, for the most improved junior by rating points between Sept. 1, 2022 and June 30, 2023.

I'd prefer to have a credit, and to buy the book closer to the target date. Even better would be for it to be a credit with Strategy Games for the amount of a modest chess book. Then the winner can go to Strategy Games and get the book they want, and pay the extra amount if the book is greater than the gift certificate amount.

Does any of this work for you?

Bob A

Comment

I would think yes, but let Larry get back to me. I need his ok. I'll let you know.

Comment

Eligible:
        Hans Jung 6702
        Wayne Komer 6425
        Egidijus Zeromskis 5461
        Hugh Brodie 5193
        Gary Ruben 4915
        Bob Armstrong 4670
        Vlad Drkulec 4347

On deck!
        Kerry Liles 2983
        Larry Bevand 2837
        Bob Gillanders 2835
        Aris Marghetis 2809

Comment

I hope this is limited to chess-related posts only.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
            Eligible:
            Hans Jung 6702
            Wayne Komer 6425
            Egidijus Zeromskis 5461
            Hugh Brodie 5193
            Gary Ruben 4915
            Bob Armstrong 4670
            Vlad Drkulec 4347

On deck!
            Kerry Liles 2983
            Larry Bevand 2837
            Bob Gillanders 2835
            Aris Marghetis 2809
            Sadly Wayne Komer and Gary Ruben (Just Wondering) have passed away.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
              Ive been mulling this over for a while but nows the time to post. I am stepping forward and offering anyone who reaches 3000 posts on chesstalk to order a book from Strategy Games and I will foot the bill. Thats right, you choose any chess book and its on me. This is a small reward for those dedicated posters who have done a big part to keep chesstalk going in a positive way. So those of you who are only a part of the way there have something to look forward to. Im glad I made the initial offer to the late Wayne Komer (although he graciously declined) and I would also like to acknowledge Gary Ruben aka Just Wondering the longtime leader of posting on chesstalk who passed away 8 years ago. Does anybody besides me remember Just Wondering?
              So just to clarify if youve already reached 3000 posts and want a book its on me.
              Oh Hans, you don't know where you turning :) Please secure for me Blindfold Chess hardcover LOL OK, kidding. Let's spend this amount on beer at your upcoming tournament :)

Yeah, it was great to have Just Wondering here for his own solid opinion on everything. Wayne - no need to scroll for any other new chess outlets. RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                I knew Gary (just wondering) many years ago at the Scarborough Chess Club in the late 60's
                He was a very nice fellow and a reasonably strong player too (especially in correspondence in the days before computers were allowed(?) to be used...)
                I always looked forward to his comments on nearly anything.
                RIP

Wayne Komer was amazing - his succinct digests of ongoing events were fantastic - Chessbase should have simply employed him to report on events. RIP also.

Hans, I am sure Larry would be all in for this - no idea why he would object. For that matter, I'm not sure why you need Larry's participation other than the Strategy Games angle... <wink>
                I already have way too many chess books and less and less time to read or even flip through them... I am pretty sure I would follow Bob's idea to donate any such prize (to the Mississauga CC)

great initiative.
                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Thanks Kerry and Egidijus, especially for the colour commentary on Wayne Komer and Gary Ruben.

Comment

Working...
                  X