Happy Birthday Lawrence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Howell game is a dazzling beauty and brings back fond memories of watching Lawrence play. His opponents were often baffled and shook their heads in befuddlement. Did that happen to you, Hans? :)

Comment

More than once, for sure.

Comment

I am not sure if people realize how instrumental Lawrence was in the development of Canadian Juniors in the 70's and 80's. Besides playing countless speed games with anyone who asked him, Lawrence would always go out of his way to answer any questions on the game. It was amazing his theoretical knowledge of all openings, even the ones he did not play. He would also replay countless games of Chigorin, Steinitz and Pillsbury at the Toronto Chess Club at record speed. Many aspiring juniors would copy of all Lawrence's openings, which he had adopted from Suttles and Bohatirchuk. I had the pleasure to also attend many of Lawrence's lectures at Hart House, where he played some of the most creative games from the Olympiad and Open tournaments over the years. Lots of great memories. Thank you Lawrence for your unselfishness and sharing your great talent.

Comment

I had the support of the team of Lawrence and Angela as a junior. Lawrence for chess knowledge and all things chess and Angela for life and culture and they sure taught me a lot. I will be forever grateful. Thanks for bringing up that subject Ian.

Comment

Working...
          X