Nick Oancea - model chess citizen and visionary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nick Oancea - model chess citizen and visionary

I first met Nick at the Horse and Buggy tournament in Elmira, back in 2021 we were emerging from COVID. He was so happy just to be sitting at the board, playing. His appetite for chess was unmistakable. In 2022 we met a number of times. His passion for the game was not limited to his own play. He took action. In January Nick opened the Excelsior Chess Club - it is open 7 days per week! I have never seen this kind of commitment. He put his own money on the line, despite being an accomplished business person. The first month exceeded his forecast and he is just getting started. This guy is for real. The Excelsior Chess Club is for real and he deserves our full support. He certainly has mine.

Nick has certainly raised chess up a notch in the GTA. Thanks to him, and I wish him success.

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
      Nick has certainly raised chess up a notch in the GTA. Thanks to him, and I wish him success.

Bob A
      Hope Mr Oancea has better luck with his club than Vlad, with the Bayview Games Club. I say he couldn't keep it going, because of the financial expectations of the "good" players, the masters, most of whom would gladly show up for a shot at some prize money, but would never buy a membership to the club,

Comment

I visited the club today for the first time.

1) great lighting!
        2) quality boards and pieces.
        3) 5 rounds spread over 3 days, instead of playing 3 games classic time control back to back on a Saturday like allot of tournaments have been doing. This one is especially important. I think it's crazy to play three classic games in a day tbh.

Overall nice club and atmosphere.

Comment

Working...
        X