When was the last time you studied a chess book cover to cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back around 2007, shortly before returning to chess after about 11 years out of chess I studied 30 chess books cover to cover in two months. Some were books that I had previously read. I found or created pgn files for each of them so that I could more quickly go through the games. More recently, I read a chess book from cover to cover about three days ago though this was a book with no chess moves in it. I read it on Kindle.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08...w_myk_ro_title

Mental Toughness in Chess: Practical Tips to Strengthen Your Mindset at the Board
    Werner Schweitzer
    Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Tuesday, 14th February, 2023, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Circa 2008: 'Secret Notes', by David Bronstein and Sergei Voronkov, published 2007, edition Olms.
      Wonderful games (many found nowhere else), great stories, some rare photos (including one of GM Bronstein, GM Fischer, and GM Olafsson together, from Mar del Plata 1960, and photos of GM Bronstein with GM Spassky. It was his last book; he had died in late 2006. Contains, among other gems: His 6-game 1971 training match with GM Korchnoi (DB 3.5 -- VK 2.5), the real, shocking back story on Zurich Candidates' 1953, and his late life travels to western Europe, with lots of friendly hospitality.
      It's a very easy read, and great fun. I have found GM Bronstein's books connect to the reader better than any others I have seen.

Comment

Here's one that I would read from cover to cover..

"The Anti-Hedghog, a repertoire series for White."

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Henderson View Post
          Here's one that I would read from cover to cover..

"The Anti-Hedghog, a repertoire series for White."
          It is in my cart on ForwardChess.com at this moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post

It is in my cart on ForwardChess.com at this moment.

Got a link for that?

Comment

https://forwardchess.com/product/bea...=New%20Arrival

This might not be the same book as I was going from memory. I did buy this book.

https://forwardchess.com/products?search=Hedgehog

I actually own all three books that are returned in that search.

Comment

Hah! Thanks Vlad. I thought you were joking. I recall Korchnoi saying somewhere that he considered the Hedgehog was like "Swiss Cheese". :).

Anyways, saying "Beat the Hedgehog" is kind of like saying "Beat the Sicilian", no?

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Henderson View Post
                  Hah! Thanks Vlad. I thought you were joking. I recall Korchnoi saying somewhere that he considered the Hedgehog was like "Swiss Cheese". :).

Anyways, saying "Beat the Hedgehog" is kind of like saying "Beat the Sicilian", no?
                  Lots of courses and books on how to do just that. I just picked up a course on the Maroczy bind on Modern-chess.com.

There is no shortage of sites selling chess material..

Chessmood is kind of interesting as they had two periods of free access but they just happened to coincide with periods when I was very busy and unable to take advantage. I did watch a couple of hours and videos are quite high quality from a production sense. They do want you to sign up for their websites and I am not so sure I have the time. I just cancelled AMC+ because I hadn't watched in in a month. Probably need to cancel a few more subscriptions that I am not using.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post

Lots of courses and books on how to do just that.I just picked up a course on the Maroczy bind on Modern-chess.com.

There is no shortage of sites selling chess material..

Chessmood is kind of interesting as they had two periods of free access but they just happened to coincide with periods when I was very busy and unable to take advantage. I did watch a couple of hours and videos are quite high quality from a production sense. They do want you to sign up for their websites and I am not so sure I have the time. I just cancelled AMC+ because I hadn't watched in in a month. Probably need to cancel a few more subscriptions that I am not using.
                    Lot's of books say that, I'm sure. Anyways, I am adding the Hedgehog to my black repertoire. If you bought this book for your own use, I would love to put it to the test against you.

best wishes...

:)

Comment

Of all those old books, I still enjoy reading much of Chernev's stuff. Easy on the brain

I remember reading in a chess book back in the 1970's, something like "the number of ways to play the first twelve moves of a game of chess is greater than the number of raindrops that would fall on greater Chicago in over a decade". Anyone else remember that?

Comment

Working...
                      X