• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B.C. Championship 2009

Ongoing results and games can be found at the B.C. Chess History website,

http://www3.telus.net/public/swright2/homepage.html

Re: B.C. Championship 2009

Mostly draws today. Jack leads with 4.5 followed by Drago with 3.5. Nobody has 3. Jack and Drago play in the last round.

Comment

Jack Yoos wins his fourth B.C. Championship with 5.5/7, a half point ahead of Dragoljub Milicevic. Full report in the BCCF Bulletin this Wednesday, games and crosstable at

Comment

Drew seven straight games. I gotta say, this is quite possibly amongst the greatest chess accomplishments of all time.

Comment

Hold on now, you're no J. Petersen dude.
          Last edited by Duncan Smith; Tuesday, 13th October, 2009, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Wright View Post
            Jack Yoos wins his fourth B.C. Championship with 5.5/7, a half point ahead of Dragoljub Milicevic. Full report in the BCCF Bulletin this Wednesday, games and crosstable at

Congratulations, Jack! Jack had the same result in each round as I did last year. In particular, in round 6, we both established commanding positions against Remismeister Lucas Davies (whose seven-oh score could only have been bettered in a longer tournament) and we both blew it. With all credit to the stern defence in both cases, of course. In 2009 I wonder if 60...g5-g4 instead of Nf4-e6...? But if you look at the other games, Jack played much better. A restrained and steady hand.

Drago was even more dangerous than usual. In the final round he chose not to grasp the nettle, but it looked to me that Jack was already better after 11 moves when the draw was agreed.

Thanks to Stephen Wright for once again putting together a great tournament (the 94th BC Championship) for our collective delectation.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucas Davies View Post
              Drew seven straight games. I gotta say, this is quite possibly amongst the greatest chess accomplishments of all time.
              wow drew 7 games... you must be a Caro-kann player

Comment

OBVIOUSLY. I bust out Caro-Kanns left and right, and I don't even care. It's kind of like in Eight Diagram Pole Fighter. There's a LOT of pole fighting action, and there's NOTHING you can do about it.

Comment

I said AMONGST. I gotta play in some longer tournaments to improve on my drawing records.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucas Davies View Post
                    I said AMONGST. I gotta play in some longer tournaments to improve on my drawing records.
                    It's tough. 15- and 17- rounders (of the Trifunovic all-draws era) are rare these days.

Occasionally the BC Championship is a 9-rounder. In 2000, Bob Zuk had 8 draws, and AFAIR it was only in the final round that Jack, by dint of a Herculean effort (he loves a challenge!) managed to defeat him. So, 8 consecutive draws in a BC Championship. Do I hear a higher bid? You, sir?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                      Occasionally the BC Championship is a 9-rounder. In 2000, Bob Zuk had 8 draws, and AFAIR it was only in the final round that Jack, by dint of a Herculean effort (he loves a challenge!) managed to defeat him. So, 8 consecutive draws in a BC Championship. Do I hear a higher bid? You, sir?
                      Jack beat Bob in round 7, so it was only 6 consecutive draws (in the last round Jack was preventing me from winning the championship)

Comment

Working...
                      X