The next chess book you "intend" to read cover to cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The next chess book you "intend" to read cover to cover

I am looking at "Training for the Tournament Player", By Dvoretsky and Yusupov. It talks not so much about chess strategy, but seems very good at analyzing your own games, focusing on strengths and weakness.

Chapter 1 by Dvoretsky is titled "A Chess Player's strengths and weakness. Seems like a good place to start.

Chapter 2 by Yusupov is called "Analyzing your own games" In the very first paragraph, he opines that the analysis of one's own games is necessary for chess improvement at the higher level. Be better able to understand the games turning points. Try to understand why you make these mistakes.

Chapter 3, by Yusupov and Dvoretsky together, has a very interesting title: "The technique of working on your own games and those of others" So it seems a chapter that says "Analyze your own games" is followed by a chapter that says how to analyze (work on) your own games.

Chapter 4 by Shereshevsky is about the classics. He pretty much says that ... "proper?" (my word) chess worth studying begins with Steinitz.

Chapter 5 by Alexei Kosikov Assessing a position and choosing a plan.

All look very useful, and things I have not done much of in the past.

'Techniques of Positional Play' by Bronznik & Terekhin. Bought this six or seven years ago and promptly forgot all about it. Within the last month or two there was a flurry of positive discussion online about this book and I thought, hmm....sounds familiar. Found it under a giant dust bunny!
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Working...
    X