International Women's Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fred Henderson View Post

What are you sating here Let me piece it together....

You: An organization must inspire its youth
    Me: Any research to support that?
    You A role model will increase participation.

oooh yes, you do like lateral thinking, I'll to find out if this is what Edward de Bono had in mind.

First you say it is the duty of an organization to inspire its youth. Then you prove it by saying that a role model will provide inspiration..

So it would follow that the organization should produce role models? If so, how would they do that, and who would pay for it?
    Oops my bad, Fred. I thought you knew how to use a Search Engine ... ha!

Lots more, but start here ...

Sporting Success, Role Models and Participation: A Policy Related Review
    https://www.semanticscholar.org/pape...8dd37724db4b25

The value of female sporting role models
    https://www.semanticscholar.org/pape...d056aa3c223a4d

https://www.sportanddev.org/sites/de...ole_models.pdf

... lots more, ha!

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post

Oops my bad, Fred. I thought you knew how to use a Search Engine ... ha!

Lots more, but start here ...

Sporting Success, Role Models and Participation: A Policy Related Review
      https://www.semanticscholar.org/pape...8dd37724db4b25

https://www.semanticscholar.org/pape...d056aa3c223a4d

https://www.sportanddev.org/sites/de...ole_models.pdf

... lots more, ha!
      LOL. More lateral "thinking":. I was not questioning the value of a role model, I was questioning the role of the organization in producing that role model. Try linear thinking, please. And read my posts all the way through. Who will the organization "celebrate" with? It's members? Who are already participating? So much separation between the genders. Judit Polgar, now there is a role model. Get my point?
      Last edited by Fred Henderson; Wednesday, 26th April, 2023, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Henderson View Post

LOL. More lateral "thinking":. I was not questioning the value of a role model, I was questioning the role of the organization in producing that role model. Try linear thinking, please. And read my posts all the way through. Who will the organization "celebrate" with? It's members? Who are already participating? So much separation between the genders. Judit Polgar, now there is a role model. Get my point?
        Role models aren't ... 'produced'. There's no production line for a role model.

Who knew that Qiyu Zhou, could or would, become Canada's 1st and only FIDE world champ? Not me.

Chessbrahs ... role models !!! Who knew?

Role models come from what they do. But sometimes, they also come from circumstance too.

Never something that is 'manufactured' !!!

They come from a place of having been given an opportunity. Right place at the right time, ha!

Organic !!!

That's what's most important.

K?

Last edited by Neil Frarey; Wednesday, 26th April, 2023, 01:42 AM.

Comment

And when an organization, or a community, has a role model on their hands ... f'n celebrate that to the max !!!

Party time !!!

Might not ever come again.

Up lift !!!
          Last edited by Neil Frarey; Wednesday, 26th April, 2023, 02:09 AM.

Comment

So ya the f'n Chess Federation of Canada fucked up ... again.

If anyone cares ... you have to STOP.

Ask yourself how could the CFC miss this.

International Women's Day ... Qiyu Zhou ... Canada's 1st ever FIDE world champion ... over looked.

Seriously?

How does that even happen???

Leadership.

That's how.

Last edited by Neil Frarey; Wednesday, 26th April, 2023, 02:42 AM.

Comment

Who knew that Qiyu Zhou, could or would, become Canada's 1st and only FIDE world champ? Not me.
              Maybe you should re-read the history of the Canadian chess, and pay attention to Harmony Zhu. Julia Sarwer is a true name in the line of the firsts. Happy reading.

Comment

Julia Sarwer was top female in the gender-mixed 1986 World U10 championship - finishing second overall to her brother Jeff.

Comment

And when an organization, or a community, has a role model on their hands ... f'n celebrate that to the max !!!

Party time !!!

Might not ever come again.

Up lift !!!
                  The question remains - how do they "celebrate"? I honestly am not even sure if the CFC uses social media (there's no links on the web site which I must say is hilarious to think of for any organization of the CFC's scale these days). They have no real traditional media presence or interest. Post in the CFC forums? Who reads that?

The truth is when you talk about female chess role models for Canada these days, it's the Botii and akanemsko, and as accomplished as they are at chess, it's their streaming careers that most aspire to, not their ability to reach 2200 or win OTB tournaments.

Comment

There is a CFC facebook group, headed by the CFC Vice Present, I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

Maybe you should re-read the history of the Canadian chess, and pay attention to Harmony Zhu. Julia Sarwer is a true name in the line of the firsts. Happy reading.
                      Makes the CFC look even more egregious, egi.

Well done, ha

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post

The question remains - how do they "celebrate"? I honestly am not even sure if the CFC uses social media (there's no links on the web site which I must say is hilarious to think of for any organization of the CFC's scale these days). They have no real traditional media presence or interest. Post in the CFC forums? Who reads that?

The truth is when you talk about female chess role models for Canada these days, it's the Botii and akanemsko, and as accomplished as they are at chess, it's their streaming careers that most aspire to, not their ability to reach 2200 or win OTB tournaments.
                        Plus what Fred said, they also have a presence on chesscom ... https://www.chess.com/club/chess-federation-of-canada

So, chess dot ca ... FB ... chess dot com ... and the Chess Federation of Canada doesn't care to celebrate anywhere ... International Women's Day?

I mean seriously.

October is Women's History Month in Canada ... make an effort!!!
                        https://women-gender-equality.canada...022-theme.html

I must say is hilarious to think of for any organization of the CFC's scale these days
                        Ya I agree! Insane how much opportunity has slipped through their hands.

Last edited by Neil Frarey; Thursday, 27th April, 2023, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X