First Prize Guaranteed $500
    $90 per Pro Player returned as prizes.
    Saugeen Central School
    504 Catherine St. Port Elgin, ON

Sections:
    Pro (FIDE and CFC Rated)
    U1500 (CFC Rated)
    Chief Arbiter: IA Hal Bond
    CFC membership required, may be purchased with entry.

Round one pairings published Friday night, May 26.

Round Times: Saturday 10:00am, 2:00pm, 6:30pm, Sunday 10:00am, 2:30pm
    Time Control: All rounds G/90 + 30 sec. Forfeit time is 30 minutes after the start of each round, except round one, which will have a 60 minute forfeit time. Entry Fees:
    Pro Section: $90 for payments received on or before April 30, 2023
    $110.00 for payments received on or before May 25. On Site Late Fee: $10.00
    U1500: $70 for payments received on or before April 30, 2023
    $90.00 for payments received on or before May 25. On Site Late Fee: $10.00
    Playing up: Players rated 1400-1499 may play in the Pro Section.
    Add $20 to the Pro Section fee.

Single Half Point Byes: in rounds 1-4 may be requested in advance
    Registration: Prepayment required before any pairing. Prepaid players will be paired on Friday night for round one. Whites’ clocks will start at 10am Saturday.
    Equipment provided by organizer, snacks and refreshments available on site
    Visit lakehuronchess.com for registration details and accommodation options.

Hello everyone. This is Jeremy, the local organizer in Port Elgin. The Lake Huron Chess Club is very excited to be hosting its third annual tournament and is looking forward to hosting everyone again. .

This year's event includes a group rate at the Port Elgin Holiday Inn. This hotel opened in the last two years, and your stay includes free breakfast -- a big deal if you enjoy free food as much as I do.

We've also expanded the prize money compared to last year. $90 from each Pro section registration will go to that group's prize fund and will feature a minimum first prize of $500. If the number of U1500 registrations allows, we'll look at add prize money there as well. As with all of our events, food and drink will be available to participants throughout the event.

If you're thinking about registering and have any questions about the tournament or the area in and around Port Elgin, you can post here or contact me directly at info@lakehuronchess.com. Current registrations lists will be posted once registrations start rolling in.

The generous sponsorships from local individuals and organizations ensure the success of the tournament, and we're very grateful for each of them: NPX, Shankar Law, the Port Elgin Royal LePage office and rep. Tracy Doll, and Deanna Harvie - CIBC Mortgage Adviser (and parent to one of our club regulars). Visit the tournament website for registration and information.

Comment

I may be able to attend.

But I'd like to see the pre-registered list first. I can't locate a link to the pre-registered list. Is there one I've missed?

If not, can it be added in the future.......I know the tournament is still 6 weeks away.

~ Bob A

Comment

Bump up........

Awaiting an answer from Hal to my post # 3 ...........

Bob A

Comment

Hi Bob - we have not published a pre-reg list yet. Once we have more than 10 players we will do so. You are right, it is 6 weeks and several tournaments away.

Comment

Thanks Hal.....thought it was a matter of timeliness........

Bob A

Comment

Hello again everyone. I have an updated registration list to post here. If you're thinking of registering or have any questions, now's the time to act -- or ask. T

Players with (*) are waiting for Collingwood results for their provisional rating.

Scott Kuehl (1782)
              Omaray M Shah (1775)
              Dominick Harvie (1118)
              Caleb Langridge (1098)
              Jeremy Clark (1023)
              Leo Hocaluk (*)
              Jacob Meyer (unr)
              Noah Rollinson (1019)
              Robert Frieberger (unr)
              Corbin Hunt (unr)

Comment

Regrettably, we have had to cancel this event as registration numbers weren't there. If you registered and haven't yet received an email from me, contact me at info@lakehuronchess.com

Comment

Sorry to hear that the tournament is cancelled. Running a tournament after an Ontario Open is risky . But look at It another way you have players and a Tournament it is still a tournament. If you cancel now you are telling people who signed up that next year you may have just lost all your pre -registered entries. I say run it. Down size your venue anyway you have to take losses to become greater and run the event.regardless If you don't then you might be on a no show up event from now on. Running an event is the reason Organizers succeed. If you are trying to make money on an event then you are not really an organizer. All organizers take hits but to cancel an event before the last minute to me is stupid. I'd rather run an event that costs me money than tell people we cannot run an event because of a low turn out. You organized the tournament to bring in chess players so what if it brought in a low number. You might have got a wave of entries after the Ontario Open. Personally if you cannot afford to take a loss then Tournaments are not for you. You had success before so why do you not think you'll won't have success again? If you were to do this to me and I had preregistered which I did not. I'd never trust your tournament again. So think about running tournaments and not making money. Running tournaments bring respect cancelling does not do that.

Comment

I'm not sure why you think I've organized tournaments to make money, and I take exception to the way you've judged me. We ran at a loss over our first two events. But current registrations weren't even half of the previous ran-at-a-loss events, driving this one well past my personal threshold.

Comment

Well I guess you better get out of the tournament business .I'll never join your tournaments based on a cancellation .When I book time off I expect to play. Good luck with future events but I think you are making a mistake cancelling an event just because of low numbers. You have to remember you are not easy to get to unless the player has a car.. I don't drive. So get off your high horse any consider that players come to your event because they like it. Stop thinking that people are ready to kill your event. I thought it was a great idea and unfortunately I could not talk any of my friends to join so that is why I'm not there. You did what they say jumped the gun because you were afraid to take another hit. Well maybe you should have started slow and small and the expand. But what ever you did to expand you should have not run a tournament after a main event. Tournaments are expensive and to take two hotels bills back to back is hard. So think before your post your tournaments I ran a tournament for 10 years and lost money every year but it was in dedication to my friend who left me money. So do not ever think that losing money is a way to cry. You have an event that has to grow/ If you cancel now it will die in my opinion.

Comment

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this hostility. I'm aware of our location and the difficulty getting here. Each person has their own threshold for these things, and this one passed mine. I'm sorry you won't be considering joining us in the future.

Comment

Your last statement is a cope out. Consider joining the Niagara Falls Open you'd have to join early to get a discount you'd have to secure a hotel/motel you might have to take time off work to play and then in the last minute we cancel. How would you feel.? Oh I think you would say oh well I just save some money but I won't go there again. You know your ideas of tournaments and mine are different. You had a dream and you ran it twice and now you are folding. I have no way to say this but you gotta have guts. Run your tournaments and get cemented into the tournament zone.
                          Then people will be regular entrants. Flip flop like you are doing now and you'll never get respect. I feel running out now will be your downfall. So do not book after big events next time and book small or you might be in the red big time. In My opinion

Comment

Your Tournament was a great Idea but I think you did not think out of the Box. Good luck with your future tournaments but I will never be a supporter to someone who cancels due to low entries. It is my choice..

Comment

Do you live in a house with a backyard? cancel the high costs and Rentmsome tents and play the tournament in your backyard. If you have a back Yard???

Comment

Working...
                              X