American Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Cup

https://en.chessbase.com/post/american-cup-2023-d1 The American Cup is happening in St Louis and Im watching Uncle Yaz and things are getting back to normal. Nakamura was the only one to win in the first round, not his usual complexities but a simple strategical game that was easy to understand. As a result he has the clear lead. In the other section I am following Alice Lee. She is a serious young player and I enjoy her determination.

Nakamura wins with the two knights and queen against Dominguez. Lovely game. Alice Lee continues her fine strategic form and beats Nazi Paikidze.

Comment

I do admire Alice Lee's perserverance and it got her to the champions final against Irina Krush. She tried to dominate Krush in the endgame with bishop vs knight (and rooks) and in the middlegame king attack but in both cases Krush's counter attack came thru. Irina Krush played very well but the kid is on the verge of another break through.

Comment

Nakamura vs So started out with So playing very well but not finishing. Then it turned into an endurance contest and Hikaru came through again.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
          Nakamura vs So started out with So playing very well but not finishing. Then it turned into an endurance contest and Hikaru came through again.
          If Wesley and Wendel (his sis) played
          bughouse vs an unknown pair, would it be -
          So and So vs. so and so?

Reminds me of the Kevin Me/
          Jonathan Yu classic! True story

Comment

An Alberta pairing some years ago was Robert North vs Robert South.
            And some rhyming pairings from many years ago in Toronto: Ferner-Berner, Lorenz-Morenz, Ross-Moss..

Comment

So playing well is better than So playing So So. Thanks for the laugh. Needed some humour today.

Comment

In the match Alice Lee - Nazi Paikidze, Alice started out strategically but it became clear she wasnt backing up from tactics. Nazi Paikidze tried to mix it up and the games became quite the tussle but Alice ended up dominating both strategically and tactically. Impressive win against a former US champion and 2400 player.

Comment

So did more than so so against Aronian and now earns a re match against Nakamura. Nakamura and So are currently the two hottest American players.

Comment

https://en.chessbase.com/post/american-cup-2023-d8 Both final matches Nakamura - So and Krush - Lee feautured great first games with amazing tactics. Irina Krush won and and Nakamura - So contest was drawn.

Comment

The young phenom Alice Lee bounces back and wins the second game.

Comment

https://www.chess.com/news/view/the-...cup-2023-day-9 Irina Krush and Wesley So triumphed in the end over Alice Lee and Hikaru Nakamura but lots of excitement and interesting chess along the way,

Comment

Working...
                        X