The Modern Gurgenidze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Modern Gurgenidze

I was surfing books today, and came across this one, by Estonian GM Jaan Ehlvest:

"The Modern Gurgenidze, A Counterpunching Repertoire for Black"

Does anyone have any opinions on this opening and/or this book?

Thanks, best, Aris.

Ehlvest lives in USA has the chess background to produce a quality book in which every move has been verified by computer . Foreword by Shabalov. But it is an opening book ...which will be obsolete soon due to computer advances.

Comment

In my opinion openings like the modern are kind of obsolete, not necessarily because it's a bad opening but because there are too many ways to attack it, so if you use it all the time, you'll end up playing against people who are freshly booked up on one of the many promising lines.

Obviously if you want to throw it out in Blitz games it's fine, but in longer tournament games it's only good as a surprise weapon.

Comment

Thanks Mario & Patrick.

Comment

Hi Aris,

The Modern is an awesome opening which you should definitely use to play for the win as Black; it is my contention (which I have backed by consistently playing it for about 25 years, even against GMs, with excellent opening results) that there is no better opening available to you if you want Black wins.

The key advantage is flexibility; Black basically gets to dictate the direction of the game with virtually unlimited options depending on your mood. The transpositional options are myriad and once you commit to it, no White player will be able to "break" your opening, no matter how much they prepare.

I am not as big of a fan of the Gurgenidze because it lacks a bit of the flexibility from the Modern proper.

I used the Modern in all three Black games in the Nova Scotia Closed a few months ago; being unlucky to "only" score 2.5/3.
          Last edited by Alvah Mayo; Friday, 24th March, 2023, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alvah Mayo View Post
            Hi Aris,

The Modern is an awesome opening which you should definitely use to play for the win as Black; it is my contention (which I have backed by consistently playing it for about 25 years, even against GMs, with excellent opening results) that there is no better opening available to you if you want Black wins.

The key advantage is flexibility; Black basically gets to dictate the direction of the game with virtually unlimited options depending on your mood. The transpositional options are myriad and once you commit to it, no White player will be able to "break" your opening, no matter how much they prepare.

I am not as big of a fan of the Gurgenidze because it lacks a bit of the flexibility from the Modern proper.

I used the Modern in all three Black games in the Nova Scotia Closed a few months ago; being unlucky to "only" score 2.5/3.
            Thanks Alvah!!
            (first, nice to hear from you, I think it's been DECADES since I saw you in person?! hope all is well!!)

Thanks for your post, as especially the transpositional-ness seems "there". I am not as strong a player as most of the people who reply to this thread, but there's something attractive about that potential flexibility. I tried it last night at slow time control against a much lower-rated player, and I found myself enjoying Dragon-ish pressure along the g7-c3 diagonal and down a half-open (for me) c-file. I guess the most fun thing about that is that it wasn't what I "set out' to do, the opportunities just arose from the rest of our jostling for initial opening control. Does this sound familiar?

I'm still wondering if anyone has actually worked through The Modern Gurgenidze book, as that treatment of the Modern might be less inflexible than the Gurgenidze might be considered (for example, by yourself)? Regardless, in your opinion, what Modern literature should a relative Modern "beginner" like myself consider? If you prefer, my email is arismarghetis at rogers dot com

Thank you, best, Aris.

Comment

Working...
            X