Yaakov Neishtadt RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yaakov Neishtadt RIP

Yaakov Neishtadt passed away last week. He was in his 100th year. He was the author of one of my favourite opening books of the past : Catastrophe in the Opening. He was also one of the "old school" masters from the former Soviet Union - games from the 1930's onwards. Rest in peace.

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
    Yaakov Neishtadt passed away last week. He was in his 100th year. He was the author of one of my favourite opening books of the past : Catastrophe in the Opening. He was also one of the "old school" masters from the former Soviet Union - games from the 1930's onwards. Rest in peace.
    Thank you Hans.
    His tactics staple ("Improve Your CT")
    was a legend, we all grew up with.
    RIP шахматный мастер

Comment

Thank you for posting.

Yakov Neishtadt was a chess master (OTB) and a Correspondece International Master (ICCF).

I opened the book you mentioned randomly (page 228) and played through the Taimanov - Polugaevsky 1960 game.
      Mark Taimanov was one of his collaborators in writing opening theory books in the 1970s and 80s.
      Then I checked the first game by Neishtadt , an eleven moves "mini-miniature" against Estrin in 1938.

Comment

Yes there are some lovely miniatures in that book. Fond memories. Im going to find Taimanov - Polugaevsky 1960 right now. I love Taimanov games, fantastic pawn play, fantastic counterattacks, witty combinations.

Comment

https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1111512 and yes that is a queen sacrifice!! - not a notation error (see commentary down the page)

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
            https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1111512 and yes that is a queen sacrifice!! - not a notation error (see commentary down the page)
            Neishtadt includes the Taimanov game also in another of his books: "Queen Sacrifice" (Pergamon Chess 1991). The comment after the Queen sacrifice move (12. O-O-O!) is the same.
            Taimanov includes it in his Selected Games (Cadogan, 1995) as the second game in the book. There he stresses the psychological factor of the opening choice.

Which - for his opponent - led to a ... catastrophe in the opening :)

Comment

Working...
            X