• Show
Clear All

• 2024 Candidates and Women's Candidates in Toronto

https://www.fide.com/news/2300?fbcli...N8elce3LwEuKIo

Exiting news!

Comment

Absolutely fantastic!!

Comment

Can someone enlighten me as to who the Scheinbergs are?

Comment

Chess fans owe a big vote of thanks to the Scheinberg family. Just googling them gives you a lot of information.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
            Isai Scheinberg is a founder of Poker Star and sold his shares for a small 10-digit number almost 10 years ago. Later, he was involved in different projects, including chess.com

Comment

This is nice and all, but, like... *how* did this happen? Do we have an organizing team that made a bid of some kind? Or did FIDE simply plop this tournament onto us, in the way that they do lately. Will they bring in their own organizers? Seeing as they're footing the bill for it. There are wayyy more questions than answers here.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                They founded PokerStars, mostly the father and son pair of Isai and Mark. Isai is a lifelong super chess fan and I believe the one primarily driving this support (in fact, when I applied to PokerStars in 2003, I suspect the fact that I was involved in chess was a big part of how I was successful in my application). Having known them both for 20 years now, I can confidently say they are both incredible businessmen and people and the chess world is lucky for any involvement they have.

Based on some past experience, I suspect FIDE will handle all the organization of the event.

Comment

Amazing!! More great news for our community.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
                    Isai is a lifelong super chess fan and I believe the one primarily driving this support
                    It goes deeper. The dad/grandfather Matafia Scheinberg was a strong player and participated in TWO chess Olympiads back in 1930 and 1931 playing for the Lithuanian team on board 2.
                    http://www.olimpbase.org/1931/1931ltu.html (Šembergas should be Šeinbergas .)
                    http://www.olimpbase.org/1930/1930ltu.html
                    www.olimpbase.org/players/4m202ied.html

More information about him https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessplayer?pid=114209 with games.

I think before FIDE requested that the Olympiad organizers would run a World Cup too. Maybe that it is the predecessor for Chess Olympiad in Toronto, who knows :)

Comment

Thanks for the info Egidijus. I had heard of Sembergas and seen some of his games but had no idea his family name was Scheinberg.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                        Thanks for the info Egidijus. I had heard of Sembergas and seen some of his games but had no idea his family name was Scheinberg.
                        I think the mistake came from "in" became "m" during OCR or rewriting.

Comment

How can we support this event? Does FIDE need volunteers for non-arbiting positions? Can we run fide-rated events at the same time? Organize a press publicity event at a local tourist attraction like the CN tower or Casa Loma? Or bring GMs/WGMs to a local school event? Connect participants to local players who can show them restaurants?

Comment

Have they picked a site for this event? Will there be spectators allowed?

Comment

If these Candidates Tournaments are anything like the previous ones, then spectators will surely be allowed and the CFC will be invited to collaborate with complimentary events. This is wonderful news to be sure! Looking forward to seeing more details.

Comment

Working...
                              X