The CFC mandate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The CFC mandate?

It says on the CFC Facebook page, created in 2020 that "The Chess Federation of Canada (CFC), founded in 1872, is a non-profit corporation whose mandate is to promote and encourage the knowledge, study and play of the game of chess in Canada".

I don't think so. The CFC is, or at least should be, just a non-profit governing body that exists to serve its membership. They don't need promotion and encouragement.

let those who stand to make more money if chess becomes more popular promote the game. If they can'r do it, the CFC won't be able to, that for sure.
    Last edited by Fred Henderson; Wednesday, 19th April, 2023, 02:01 AM.

Hey! Here's an idea. Have the promoters form their own association. Let them work it out. Same for the educators. These are the people who get it done. The CFC should stick to basic administration and discounts to members for chess supplies.

Comment

Last edited by Cathy Ye; Thursday, 20th April, 2023, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Brilliant post, Cathy! The name may be different in French than in English, but otherwise your point is very well taken it seems to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Cathy Ye View Post
          If CFC is founded in 1872, 150+yrs old, that should be claimed as "historical site" in Ontario. It had been written like that "The Chess Federation of Canada (CFC), founded in 1872, is a non-profit corporation whose mandate is to promote and encourage the knowledge, study and play of the game of chess in Canada". It does not means the people operating CFC now still follow it. They may change their mind. There was no iPhone and no chess.com and no GM YouTube channels by then. Now a days, sponsors of provincial Youth Chess Championship tournament authorized by CFC must have their chess school jacket on the young winners before the kids take their winners photos with medals. Just imagine what kind of influence and indication we delivered to our young hard working players, not Fair Play and Be Honest anymore for sure! They can not have their favorite luck shirt on and they must be covered by the school jacket they are not registered. They are part of commercial tools with their own highlighted moment ruined! Or it actually has been like this all the time. It is just new to me. I wonder how much the sponsor paid to CFC to be entitled getting our young players' mind polluted?! I do not even know how to answer the international teacher when he asked me how come the winner's jacket get the event name printed wrong, CYCC printed to CCYC!

One shirt to buy years of hard coaching from the real chess coach of the real school the young winners registered with! Cheap and Dirty!
          I assume from some of your points that you're telling story without full knowledge of the situation. I'm not knowledgeable as well what happened over there too :)
          But:
          1. Ontario Youth Classical Chess Championship was not sanctioned by the CFC. The bid was approved by the OCA. The CFC only rated (calculated ratings) of the event.
          2. If you think that CCYC is a mistake, then you don't know anything about the CCYC and what the difference between CYCC and CCYC.

Let me guess: the jackets were given away whoever won or wanted. We should ask others to have three more sides of the story to have a full picture :)

Comment

Chess does not drive people mad, it keeps mad people sane.
            Last edited by Cathy Ye; Thursday, 20th April, 2023, 09:18 PM.

Comment

I do not like cheap dirty shows.
              Forcing/asking a child to wear your advertising jacket in such a situation is certainly dirty and cheap, I agree completely.

Comment

I am new to the Chess community. To truly express my personal feeling, CYCC vs CYCC to me is similar as Coca Cola vs Caco Calo or Adidas vs Adiddas.

I do want to know the history how everyone in the chess community run their tournaments before. And I love to know the full picture to prove me wrong. I do not like cheap dirty shows.
                The Chess Federation of Canada was founded in 1932 NOT in 1872 ... so if you have been told otherwise ... then that is a lie ... it is make believe.

The Chess Federation of Canada came into being just after FIDE (Fédération Internationale des Échecs) was formed. CFC's only purpose was and is to participate within FIDE.

OK?

BEFORE the Chess Federation of Canada was founded in 1932 ... the Canadian Chess Association, founded in 1872, had already built up a vital Canada wide brand. The CCA's (Canadian Chess Association) goal was to bring together chess clubs and organizations across Canada and they did a great service to Canada in doing so !!!

The Chess Federation of Canada's goal is to participate with FIDE.

The CFC is an elitist organization.

Last edited by Neil Frarey; Thursday, 20th April, 2023, 03:03 AM.

Comment

Nitpick - it was the "Canadian Chess Federation" that was founded in 1932. It changed its name in 1945 to the "Chess Federation of Canada", so that its initials (CCF) would not be confused with the (now defunct) Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (CCF) Canadian political party.

Canada was an original signer at the founding of FIDE in 1924. (Dr. Steven Francis Smith (1861-1928) of British Columbia)

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                    Canada was an original signer at the founding of FIDE in 1924. (Dr. Steven Francis Smith (1861-1928) of British Columbia.
                    We were the very first national chess body in the world to develop a website and go online.

Comment

I was the Chief Arbiter at OCA’s provincial youth championships last weekend in Markham. Congratulations to Michael von Keitz for a solid organizational effort, and a hearty thanks to Rachel Huang, founder of the CCYC, for her generous sponsorship and invaluable support. Despite two other youth events taking place in Markham that weekend, the Provincials managed to attract more than 170 players. MPP Billy Pang wowed the crowd prior to the final round, and IM Mark Plotkin conducted a simul after the final round.

I am a bit confused by the criticism of this tournament. Perhaps the critics are confused as well. The organizers bid for the event. The bid was approved by the OCA. The CFC rated the tournament. The winners receive financial assistance to play in the CYCC – our national youth championship - which will take place in Calgary this July.

The CCYC is a club in Markham. The CCYC sponsored the tournament by providing equipment, volunteers and club t - shirts for any player who wanted one. No one was compelled to wear the sponsor’s t-shirts. Rachel Huang is a model chess citizen. Canadian chess needs more people like her.
                      Last edited by Hal Bond; Thursday, 20th April, 2023, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Thank you for the clarification! I am a very simple and straight person. Now looks the indication of the winner’s picture was misinterpreted.

I did my research a little bit. That the owner of CCYC, Rachel Huang as an immigrant, did huge contribution to the Canadian chess community by uniting the chess lover immigrants from Asian and European into the local chess community. And as we can see, she is continuing to support the chess activities especially in the youth sector. Without her effort, dedication and years of hard working, chess here will never become Simcoe Lake, which is a white water lake with lots of waves. Based on her seniority in the chess community, I am sure the two fundamental ethics, fair play and be honest, must be engraved in her heart and run through her operation of CCYC and other activities. Let’s all work together to grow the Canadian chess to a higher level! All I want is to witness new (Made in Canada) GMs rising from the horizon of GTA. (Of course if I move to Calgary, my horizon will change. )

Comment

I think some confusion is certainly understandable here.

The current Chess Federation of Canada (CFC) is the successor organization to the Canadian Chess Federation (CCF), which was founded in 1872, as I understand it. So it is legitimate to claim in 2023 that organized chess in Canada is now 151 years old.

The Chess Federation of Canada changed to that name in 1932, to avoid confusion with the newly founded political party CCF (Canadian Cooperative Federation), which was founded in Calgary in August, 1932. One of my grandfathers, Alberta farmer Emil Schmidt, was a member of that founding political group; he was also a chess player!

The political party CCF then changed ITS name in 1961, to become today's New Democratic Party (NDP); it has national and many provincial arms.

The CYCC is an acronym for the Canadian Youth Chess Championship, an annual youth championship tournament, which itself descended out of an organization for youth tournaments founded by the Chess 'N Math Organization (CMA), which was founded by IA Larry Bevand in Montreal in 1985. The CYCC events are rated by the CFC. I served as Deputy Arbiter for the CYCC event held in Ottawa 2013, which set a new record with 280 players, across 14 sections, separated by gender and age. Champions from the CYCC are eligible each year to continue on to the World Youth Chess Championships of that year, with expenses paid through CYCC and the CFC. My former student IM Raja Panjwani played in several WYCC events.

Also note that the CMA , which is SEPARATE from the CFC, continues to run its own series of youth events, with a national grade school championship held annually. Its events are NOT rated by the CFC, but are rated through CMA's own rating system.

I have directed several dozen CFC-rated events, and assisted as a TD for over a decade with CMA's Kingston sectional events.

Now, this new organization CCYC seems to be YET ANOTHER youth chess organization; I was unaware of it until I read this thread today.

Any newcomer to organized chess in Canada, whether player, parent, organizer, potential patron, or just a fan, is bound to ask this question: Why not just have ONE national organization for (youth) chess in Canada? At one time, that was in fact the case, and it seems that chess is virtually unique in Canada for having so many separate organizations, which do not always cooperate with each other in harmonious manner. For example, sports such as golf, baseball, basketball, tennis, curling, soccer, track and field, swimming, rowing, gymnastics, and of course hockey (Hockey Canada is undergoing a crisis, leading to investigations and hearings in Parliament, and major reform, which is still in progress) have been able to resolve THEIR differences and work together productively, across a nation with a relatively small population, sparsely distributed across six time zones (one quarter of the world's 24 time zones). Chess, not so, not since the late 1970s. The best short answer I can give for this is: different agendas by powerful personalities on disparate sides, some of whom are making their livings from chess organizing. Empires have been created, dominated by the same people for decades. But, no doubt, strong personalities exist in those other sports as well, as we have seen; and many organizers are making their livings through sports. They solved it; we can't.

In May 2005, while serving as an Associate Arbiter at the huge Minneapolis HB Global Challenge (1,500 players; $500k guaranteed up front, then a world record; 9-round Swiss in 7 sections; nearly 100 GMs), I attended (as a guest, and a then-CFC Governor) the concurrent United States Chess Federation meeting being held there. I was welcomed warmly, shared in their catered lunch, and sat quietly for about an hour, listening to reports on the success of their youth programs, for which the USCF manages everything. Their profit that year from ONE scholastic event dwarfed the CFC's TOTAL BUDGET for that same year. There is about a nine-to-one population ratio between the United States and Canada. So, one advantage of working together!!! Then, I had to get back to my arbiter duties!!

Respectfully,
                          Frank Dixon
                          NTD, Kingston
                          CFC Governor 2002-05
                          Tournament player, and organizer, since 1969

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                            Nitpick - it was the "Canadian Chess Federation" that was founded in 1932. It changed its name in 1945 to the "Chess Federation of Canada", so that its initials (CCF) would not be confused with the (now defunct) Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (CCF) Canadian political party.

Canada was an original signer at the founding of FIDE in 1924. (Dr. Steven Francis Smith (1861-1928) of British Columbia)
                            Brilliant post, Hugh! The name may be different in French than in English, but otherwise your point is very well taken it seems to me.

Thank you.

How long have there been nine members on the board of directors?

Comment

Let’s all work together to grow the Canadian chess to a higher level! All I want is to witness new (Made in Canada) GMs rising from the horizon of GTA. (Of course if I move to Calgary, my horizon will change. )
                              A very good opportunity to get involved in the local GTA chess scene by participating in the GTCL AGM tomorrow (April 22)

https://www.chesscanada.info/forum/s...mmunity-Centre

Comment

Working...
                              X