Great issue John!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great issue John!

Thanks for the great photos of Canadian legends from the past and a selection of great games!

I like that Vlad Dobrich and Geza Fuster (amongst others) were highlighted and the group photo of the 1969 Canadian Championship.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
      Thanks for the great photos of Canadian legends from the past and a selection of great games!
      I rather failed to see the point of it. Well, I’m sure it was a lot of work and a labour of love and if it is a gift to the Canadian chess community then fine, it has a place. But if it was commissioned by the cfc as some kind of equivalent or replacement for a regular magazine that we used to have, then it is a failure. A bunch of random chess stuff.

Comment

Hans:
        Thanks.
        That Canadian championship photo has so many of the people who were important to Canadian chess in 20 years on either side of 1969: Suttles and Day, and FIDE reps Prentice and Haley...

Roger:
        It's definitely not "random chess stuff". All the games were played by Canadians (or in one case, two super GMs playing in Canada), and the last 30 games were played over the past year, including games by the two Zonal winners and the U18 WYCC champ.

It's basically a tactics workbook and an illustrated historical review of some of the best (and worst) tactics played by Canadians over the past 110 years. Sounds like neither of those are what you like. What would you like?
        NB: much of the stuff that used to make up the content of the CFC mag -- the pages and pages of ratings and upcoming events -- are now available online and updated weekly. It would be easy, but pointless IMO to put that in a PDF.

Comment

I like to see ratings in periodicals like this for posterity. You can then compare such lists as the top 10 today vs the top 10 ten years ago. You can't produce a rating list from ten years ago on the CFC site.

Comment

For those like me who couldn't find a link to the latest CFC newsletter, here is the link to the available newsletters:

https://www.chess.ca/en/cfc/newsletters/

It seems the latest one is available to anyone...

I found that link by waiting for the pictures on the main CFC page to change (it seems they scroll from right to left every few seconds and I didn't see any controls to make them change!?)
            Anyway, a massive issue with a LOT of information in it. Looked quickly at it but it seems to follow the usual layout etc.

Such a massive tome could use an index of sorts...
            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Another amazing massive project.It will take awhile to go through all the games.

Now for some extreme nitpicking:

No artist name for the cover? I like it.

Could have a couple more early historical games, such as ones by the brilliant Maurice Fox. But famous street player Joe Smolij got in a game! Nice to see games by women players included.

In 1967 Keres photos could include GM title.

No ratings for the 1970s

The biggest oops is strategy games store has old address for the Toronto store. In several ads.

U of T team photo has the names switched for Morenz and Buchholz and I would have liked first names spelled out.

Todd Southam could have IM title with photo.

1994 North Bay "v" could be "vs" like previous photo.

One photo has ?? as the photo credit. Could just not mention anything. And add GM titles.

LeSiege didn't have an accent in an early photo. Shouldn't Jean Hebert have an accent in his name in photos.

Kovalyov photo has no text saying it's Kovalyov.

Yuan photo could add IWM.

A fishbowl is labelled an Analysis Diagram. Maybe Analysis Diagrams could be blue?

No GM title with Aman Hambleton photo.

I don't like the CFC logo on every page.

I think the index has enough space to spell out player's first name. I don't know why a couple of names are bold.

Comment

Working...
              X