Pia Cramling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pia Cramling

https://en.chessbase.com/post/ten-hi...r-pia-cramling Pia Cramling recently celebrated her 60th birthday. Interesting top ten highlights of her career. As far as Canada goes she has beaten Kevin Spraggett and she won the Mon Roi tournament in 2007.

She also won the 2004 Western Canada Open in Vancouver - including a win against me.

CFC - Tournament (chess.ca)

Comment

I do believe she played only chess, not women's chess.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
        She also won the 2004 Western Canada Open in Vancouver - including a win against me.

Met her once, she played in an invitational at the Bayview Location, organized by Vlad, Her husband I believe and they had an infant. A quiet person, that's about all I can say. Walter Arencibia was entered also

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Henderson View Post

Met her once, she played in an invitational at the Bayview Location, organized by Vlad, Her husband I believe and they had an infant. A quiet person, that's about all I can say. Walter Arencibia was entered also
          We've featured WFM Anna Cramling, daughter of GM Pia Cramling and GM Juan Manuel Bellón López, ever since - ever since over on CHESS METRO ...

https://chessmetro.com/

... scroll down past our sponsors to the YT content to find her YT channel.

2175 FIDE peak rating.

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post

Game score? Where did your game fall apart? Opening?

Comment

One of my all-time favorite Canadian games was the win by WIM Nava Starr (Shterenberg), as Black, over Pia, in the last round of the 1982 Lucerne Olympiad; board one, Sweden vs Canada. Nava won the bronze medal, and Pia the silver. Nava told of her preparation that day, annotated the game wonderfully, and had a subsequent story to tell!

Comment

Hugh, that was an interesting tournament. Too bad it wasnt on my radar but lots happening that summer like Kapukasing. I played in the Closed.

Comment

Pia Cramling was a several time visitor to Canada. I remember first watching her give exhibitions sometime in the late seventies in Toronto (I think?) Denis Allan is a good friend. Denis if you are reading this could you share some of your memories?

Comment

I remember when Pia visited Denis Allan in the 90's and I had the pleasure of taking her and her girlfriend to Canada's Wonderland for the day. She later gave a simul at the Scarborough Chess Club at W.A. Porter.

Comment

Theres a lot of memorable names who played in the Western Canada Open (link above). Gerard Welling - artist of off beat openings, the entire Harper family (not just Bruce), a young Eric Hansen amongst others.

Comment

Pia and GM husband played in the 2003 Canadian Open in Kapuskasing.

Comment

How many times has she actually played in Canada? The answer has to be alot.

Comment

Working...
                        X