• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gender and chess performance

A serious study that was published less than one year ago

https://phys.org/news/2022-07-impact...ing-chess.html

here's an eye catcher..

"Despite no evidence of an innate advantage for men, female expert chess players were found to make 11% more errors when competing against their male counterparts, while men were observed to continue playing longer—by 8% on average—against women even when they would normally have resigned against a man."

The study seems to blame stereotypes of the chess ability of women, as if it makes them nervous to be so scrutinized? So the solution is to play woman's only chess?

Here's an interesting article from CTV, that takes a look at chess abandonment by females in high school. Some guy named Vlad is interviewed and says "It's difficult to say exactly why that happens, but it does,"

I say not that difficult. I say peer pressure that says chess is not cool, better to be like her friends and be "chasing boys" (sic). I would also take a look at whether this is a North America trand, or European.

The article says "The Canadian government provides no funding to chess" OK, so? ARe we saying that gov't funding for chess will overcome peer pressure? I doubt that.
    Last edited by Fred Henderson; Tuesday, 25th April, 2023, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Henderson View Post
      Here's an interesting article from CTV, that takes a look at chess abandonment by females in high school. Some guy named Vlad is interviewed and says "It's difficult to say exactly why that happens, but it does,"

I say not that difficult. I say peer pressure that says chess is not cool, better to be like her friends and be "chasing boys" (sic). I would also take a look at whether this is a North America trand, or European.

The article says "The Canadian government provides no funding to chess" OK, so? ARe we saying that gov't funding for chess will overcome peer pressure? I doubt that.
      First, there's no article linked here as far as I can see.

Second the fact of the matter is that chess is abandoned in large scale (boys and girls) at the high school level, and there are a myriad of reasons beyond something as simplistic as "chasing boys". When you reach that age, you see chess for what it is - a fun hobby that unless you are world elite, isn't something to devote your life to. At that age, people pick up new hobbies and interests. No great mystery.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post

First, there's no article linked here as far as I can see.
        https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/too-ma...body-1.1911967

<snip>, and there are a myriad of reasons beyond something as simplistic as "chasing boys".
        agreed, my 1st post, and the article, which I forgot, both talk about that.

When you reach that age, you see chess for what it is - a fun hobby that unless you are world elite, isn't something to devote your life to. At that age, people pick up new hobbies and interests. No great mystery.
        Talk about simplistic.

Comment

Working...
        X