• Show
Clear All

• Chess by age in Canada using FIDE data

Click image for larger version

Name:	data2.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	226381
    Probably the disclaimer shall be written - it is for competitive chess - aka FIDE rated events.

Data using the FIDE standard rating list. Only active players per FIDE (the flag shall be not i or wi). ~100 players had no birth year, thus don' use in your promotional :)
    Bin 5 years.

Some clear conclusions - high school kids drop from chess significantly, though some would come back later like in their 30s, and then some increase for ~60 years (retirement >> more free time).

Congrats to two gentlemen born in 1925 and still keeping active: Raymond Dickson, and Steve St-Pierre. (Maybe someone could confirm indeed their age as ~98?)

On active list 60 as F(emale) and 804 as M(ale).
    Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Wednesday, 26th April, 2023, 04:11 PM. Reason: seems the picture can not be in full size...

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    Click image for larger version

Name:	data2.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	226381
    Probably the disclaimer shall be written - it is for competitive chess - aka FIDE rated events.

Data using the FIDE standard rating list. Only active players per FIDE (the flag shall be not i or wi). ~100 players had no birth year, thus don' use in your promotional :)
    Bin 5 years.

Some clear conclusions - high school kids drop from chess significantly, though some would come back later like in their 30s, and then some increase for ~60 years (retirement >> more free time).

Congrats to two gentlemen born in 1925 and still keeping active: Raymond Dickson, and Steve St-Pierre. (Maybe someone could confirm indeed their age as ~98?)

also confounding the graph ; Many low rated kids who do things like wycc and get a fide rating but are too low rated for Canadian fide sections so show as inactive.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post

also confounding the graph ; Many low rated kids who do things like wycc and get a fide rating but are too low rated for Canadian fide sections so show as inactive.
      CYCC and WYCC were less than a year ago - they would be still active now.

Comment

maybe this will work.
        Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Saturday, 29th April, 2023, 01:33 AM. Reason: seems does not work

Comment

I would expect there to be higher numbers born in the 1950s than around 1970 because of 1) baby boomer bump in population and 2) Fischer mania peaked in 1972. I would think chess in schools has increased the participation of those born after 1990.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
            I would expect there to be higher numbers born in the 1950s than around 1970 because of 1) baby boomer bump in population and 2) Fischer mania peaked in 1972. I would think chess in schools has increased the participation of those born after 1990.
            Good expectations, though those players are now in 70 year old range. From my observations there are not many of them at tournaments.

I tried with the whole FIDE players list standard/rapid/blitz:
            For CAN there are 20% without the DOB thus rendering the statistics to big errors. Though the trend looks similar - just the first peak moves towards 1970.

The public CFC player's list does not have activity or DOB columns.

Comment

hello ...I seem to be the raymond dickson in question !! ... but only 70yrs young 11

Comment

I am 78 y.o. in 3 mo. and still actively playing tournaments (In clubs and outside of clubs).

I know of a number of aging tournament players who are older than me.

We all seem to be afflicted with an addiction to chess, that even falling ratings can't cure!

I think we all, though, are having a lot of trouble with those under 5 y.o.'s!

Bob A

Comment

The public CFC player's list does not have activity or DOB columns.
                  Try https://www.chess.ca/en/ratings/p/top/

You can choose 1) the last played date and 2) age range and 3) how many players on the list (in this case you might want to pick a big number)

Comment

I was wanting to know the number of paid up, current CFC members who are:

1. Adult
                    2. Junior (Using either the FIDE def. of U 20, or the Canadian general U 18).

Can what Fred has pointed out about the manipulation of the CFC data base, come up with these numbers?

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post

Try https://www.chess.ca/en/ratings/p/top/

You can choose 1) the last played date and 2) age range and 3) how many players on the list (in this case you might want to pick a big number)
                      Thnx. Seems max 500 is the limit. Will take some time to gather info.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                        I was wanting to know the number of paid up, current CFC members who are:

1. Adult
                        2. Junior (Using either the FIDE def. of U 20, or the Canadian general U 18).

Can what Fred has pointed out about the manipulation of the CFC data base, come up with these numbers?

Bob A
                        For membership stats you can look at https://www.chess.ca/en/cfc/membership-statistics/

Comment

Thanks Egis - just what I wanted - do you know which age cut-off is used for CFC Juniors - is it the FIDE U 20?

Bob A

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	data2.jpg Views:	58 Size:	7.7 KB ID:	226381

Bin 5 years.

FIDE, ergo the CFC ... focus on rated chess. FIDE rated chess or otherwise rated chess. Such a very very narrow spectrum of Chess being enjoyed across Canada.

Interesting stuff none the less.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                              Thanks Egis - just what I wanted - do you know which age cut-off is used for CFC Juniors - is it the FIDE U 20?

Bob A
                              Should be 20

Comment

Working...
                              X