Present day men are wimps...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Present day men are wimps...

If you think that Usain Bolt is fast think again. He reached a top speed of 42 km/hr during his 100 m run of 9.69 seconds at last years Olympics. Fossilized footprints of 6 Australian aboriginales chasing prey 20,000 years ago show that one of the men dubbed T8 reached speeds of 37 km/hr on a soft, muddy lake edge. The scientist studying this claims that with modern training, spiked shoes, and rubberized tracks these hunters 20,000 years ago would likely have reached speeds of 45 km/hr.

High jump photographs taken by a German anthropologist indicate that Tutsi men in Rwanda had to jump at least their own height for initiation ceremonies exceeding the current world record of 2.45 meters.

Neanderthal women had 10% more muscle bulk than modern European man. Trained today, these women would have 90% of the bulk of Arnold Schwarzenegger at his peak in the 1970s. Because the women have shorter arms, they would have easily defeated Arnold in an arm wrestle.

Roman legions completed at least 1.5 marathons per day carrying half their body weight in equipment.

Athens rowers (30,000) could for the most part exceed todays records.

Australian aboriginals threw hardwood spears 110 meters or more, compared to current world javelin record of 98.48 meters.

Reference: Peter McAllister in book titled "Manthropology: The Science of the Inadequate Modern Male"

Re: Present day men are wimps...

Well I doubt those Neanderthals could play chess at a master level!

(sorry- just trying to bring this thread back on topic)

Comment

I know of at least one Neanderthal that is Canadian and plays chess at a GM level...

Comment

LOLOLOLOLOL too funny :)

sure we aren't as physically active today... but then again isn't that the point of most technology?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Beckwith View Post
          Reference: Peter McAllister in book titled "Manthropology: The Science of the Inadequate Modern Male"
          Canadian Women Big.
          Canadian Women Strong.
          Good for Pulling Plough.

Send picture. Of the plough. :)
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I know of at least one Neanderthal that is Canadian and plays chess at a GM level...
            What a thing to say about Bob Gillanders! It's just not true, he plays chess at a level that would have any GM wondering what's going on! :p
            Only the rushing is heard...
            Onward flies the bird.

Comment

good thread

Comment

Australian aboriginals threw hardwood spears 110 meters or more, compared to current world javelin record of 98.48 meters.
                apples to apples: There was another world record ~105 m with an old style javelin, and unknown distance for the wood spears.

Did the book discuss achievements in chess or longevity?

Comment

High jump photographs taken by a German anthropologist indicate that Tutsi men in Rwanda had to jump at least their own height for initiation ceremonies exceeding the current world record of 2.45 meters.
                  There were Tutsi men over 2.45 metres tall? Now that would be impressive.

Comment

What was their life expectancy?
                    Could the fastest outrun a car, or airplane, row faster than a motorboat?
                    Modern Man kicks butt!

Comment

I should clarify. The German anthropologist photographs showed the young Tutsi men jumping 2.52 meters. They had to jump at least their own height for an initiation rite to manhood, I do not know how tall they were.

Life expectancy was not mentioned, but I know that it was very low, likely 30 years at the most. Life was savage back then, and medicine was not developed too well.

Also, back then to kill one man you had to stab, strangle, knife or spear or throw them off a cliff. Modern man just presses a button and hundreds of thousands can die. Have we really advanced; do we really kick butt!

Comment

I heard that the author of this book was coming out with a revised addition in which he is adding a chapter on "Climate skeptics".

I can't wait to see it...
                        Vlad, do you mind sending him a recent photograph...

Comment

I wonder if a man's speed can be accurately measured from his fossillised footprints. Is 37km/hr perhaps the upper end of an estimated range? Maybe the guy was doing 30. And how do you extrapolate from 37 to 45 in this case?

Comment

From the spacing of the footprints, and the depth of the imprint, and having a reasonable estimate of the man's height and body structure (length of legs, etc) it is not that difficult for one versed in the biomechanics of the human body to make an accurate estimate of speed. In this case 37 km/hr is the middle of the estimated range and I think the error bars are quite small on this.

Comparing world record speeds from modern day with those going back 100 years or more one can estimate the improvement from new training methods, better shoes, etc. so it is reasonable to think that the 37 could be increased by 20% or so.

Comment

All that there is to go on is the spacing of the footprints, their size and their depth - you need to use the footprints to get your estimate of the man's physique. There is no way to accurately tell how compressible the ground was so how could it be accurately known how hard the man's feet hit? Were his feet larger or smaller than normal for his size? The further apart the footprints the faster the likely speed, but was it a tall man loping along or a shorter man going flat out? It seems to me that you could have a PHD in biomechanics and still not be able to come up with anything more than a rough estimate of speed.

Comment

Working...
                              X