Present day men are wimps...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Present day men are wimps...

I disagree, I think a single course on biometrics would do the trick for estimating speed.

Actually the topography (depth of toe impression versus depth of heel impression) of the footprint gives you a lot of information. Try this experiment yourself. Walk slowly at a comfortable pace and you will notice that your heel digs in a lot more than your toes. Try running at top speed and you can feel your initial foot impact more evenly distributed from toe to heel and then your toes pressing in more as you launch. A tall man loping along or a shorter man going flat out would have different footprint impression topologies.

Here is an interesting paper on some of the reasoning behind the conversion of footprint impressions to velocity of running or walking.

http://people.cs.ubc.ca/~van/papers/...footprints.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Beckwith View Post
      Try this experiment yourself. Walk slowly at a comfortable pace and you will notice that your heel digs in a lot more than your toes. Try running at top speed and you can feel your initial foot impact more evenly distributed from toe to heel and then your toes pressing in more as you launch.
      If I"m not mistaken, don't your heels pretty much not touch the ground at all running full speed barefoot? I know it's very different than running in shoes. It's supposed to be better for you too, they actually have "hardened socks" which give a nice tough tread on the bottom of your feet but allow for a natural running movement.
      Christopher Mallon
      FIDE Arbiter

Comment

I was very surprised by the statements made by McAllister so I tracked down (so to speak) the paper about fossilised footprints:
        http://epublications.bond.edu.au/cgi...ntext=hss_pubs

The section which talks about estimating the velocity of the people who made the tracks says in part:

"The most impressive track in terms of speed is T8. These footprints are 295 mm long
        and 100 mm wide; the estimated height of the person who made the tracks is 1.94 ±
        0.15 m (~ 6.4 ft), close to that of the T1 individual. The tracks indicate that this
        individual was running the fastest of any person at the site. Pace length increases from
        1.8 to 1.9 m over 11 m, indicating acceleration, and speed is estimated at ~ 20 km/hr."

So where does McAllister get his 37 km/hr from?

The T8 track is based on seven prints over an 11 metre long section and the maximum stride length is just under 2 metres. This can be compared to Usain Bolt's during his record breaking 100 metre run - an average stride length of approximately 2.43 metres and a maximum of 2.95.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Beckwith View Post
          Reference: Peter McAllister in book titled "Manthropology: The Science of the Inadequate Modern Male"

I heard that the author of this book was coming out with a revised addition in which he is adding a chapter on "Climate skeptics".

I can't wait to see it...
          Vlad, do you mind sending him a recent photograph...
          What is you email address to send my picture too.

Carl

Comment

Working...
          X