Jay Zendrowski

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jay Zendrowski

https://www.arbormemorial.ca/forestl...drowski/103367 With a heavy heart I have to report the passing of a lifelong friend and an original chess buddy Jay Zendrowski.
    Jay was a chess master and a life long member of the London, Ontario chess scene. When I first started tournament chess there were four of us that chummed together. Jay, nick name Drowski, Ray Ebisuzaki (Ray-Ray), myself (rudeler) and Kelly Riley. It was 5 years of adventure both on and off the chessboard. Ray was the first to leave and went to MIT. The rest of us had many good times over the next twenty years. Jay did the cement thing and had a career job in city planning and building inspection but never gave up on his passion for tournament chess and winning the London championship. Jay was a 5 time London champion. Kelly was a long time chief of the Muncey First Nations but between us we managed to keep boyish shenanigans alive. Countless parties, travel adventures, and all night blitz extravaganzas. I played Jay more than 50 tournament games (I actually have no idea of the total count) and played in 16 London Championships together. In the last twenty years Jay slowly shifted to online play and was a regular at chess.com. I should also mention he was a fine, entertaining writer of crime fiction. His series was of murders in London, Ontario and he described the city scene very well. He immortalized several local chess characters in his books, including Dave McTavish and Dave Jackson and I would recommend his books to anyone for interesting reading. Farewell Jay, my friend, your wit and precious humour will be greatly missed.
    Last edited by Hans Jung; Saturday, 6th May, 2023, 10:50 AM.

Very sorry to hear of his passing. He had a good sense of humour and was a nice person.

Comment

My thoughts and prayers go out to you, Hans, and to other friends and family members of Jay. Someday we will all meet again.

Comment

Thanks Brad.

Comment

My sincere sympathies to family and friends of Jay Zendrowski. Rest In Peace, Jay.

I recall an excellent theoretical opening article in the magazine, circa late 1970s, where Hans Jung analyzed a game with Jay, in, I believe, the Polugaevsky Najdorf Sicilian. I think I still have that one somewhere.

Comment

So young! I'm sorry for your loss, Hans. And my condolences to Jay's family and friends. Jay was one of the good people!
            "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
            "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
            "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Thanks Peter and Frank. I am in the process of digging up that game. Good memory Frank!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230507_154843.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	226650 Jay Zendrowski after winning his first London Championship in 1991. Jay's in the center with Dave McTavish on his left and Carl Ehrman on his right. Jay beat me in our individual game and then won the championhip. Afterwards I asked him Well, are you going to party? and he responded What dya think? Damn right. Party on and youre not invited. (just teasing me)

Comment

https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1385666 In 1994 Ron Pitre won the championship but Jay knocked him out in their individual game.

Comment

Ive been searching high and low but cant seem to find my collection of En Passants. I am looking for May/June 1977 (a purple cover) with an article of the Polugaevsky Najdorf based on my annotated game with Jay Zendrowski. Can anybody help me by posting a cell phone picture of the article or sending me pictures at hans underscore chess at hotmail.com. Thanks

Comment

I emailed you the article...let me know if it's ok or not. It's actually from the March/April 1977 issue.

Comment

Thanks Hugh. Thats great. Much appreciated.

Comment

Actually another example of there being many silent readers of chesstalk. I got several replies to my request. Thanks to all of you.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	firstgame.jpg Views:	0 Size:	27.1 KB ID:	226704 Jay Zendrowski - Hans Jung London Championship 1977. Our first annotated game in the magazine (actually first published game anywhere) and Jonathan Berry did the article. Big thrill at the time and we received each a ten dollar gift certificate. A month later I started my first fulltime job and after my first pay cheque purchased a CFC life membership. It was $50

To paraphrase the opening paragragh (for those having trouble reading) Jay Zendrowski was leading his first championship 5-0 and I had 4.5-.5. He sprang an opening surprise on me in the Polugaevski Najdorf from the latest article at the time by Leonid Shamkovich in Chess Life, but received a far greater shock.

After winning that game I was still not out of the woods.I proceeded to get a lost game against Vlad Drkulec in the last round but managed to pull out a draw to win the championship.
                            Last edited by Hans Jung; Thursday, 11th May, 2023, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Condolences Hans, and to everyone who knew Jay. I remember those early 1970s London chess years well.

Comment

Working...
                              X