Best participation numbers ever!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best participation numbers ever!

Is it the Queen's Gambit Netflix series that inspired this?

Participation records are being set at every event in all markets! 174 players in a Chess'n Math rated event in Newfoundland this weekend...575 players at the Ontario Chess Challenge yesterday...and I could list many others like the Quebec team championship with 775 players!

Tell us about what you have experienced.

Larry

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
    Is it the Queen's Gambit Netflix series that inspired this?

Participation records are being set at every event in all markets! 174 players in a Chess'n Math rated event in Newfoundland this weekend...575 players at the Ontario Chess Challenge yesterday...and I could list many others like the Quebec team championship with 775 players!

Tell us about what you have experienced.

Larry
    Seems like years of hard work by Chess'n Math is finally paying off! People are seeing the 'light' of what a beautiful mental sport Chess really is!!

Comment

All the local tournaments have a huge increase in numbers in their bottom sections. Large number of unrateds and under 1400. There is a large influx of social players who are willing to take on tournament play and are starting over the board tournaments. I think both the Queens Gambit series and the Covid situation got them interested in chess and chess online and now they are exploring further.

Comment

Windsor had one day rapid tournaments with over one hundred and ninety players in April although the latter was not CFC rated and was by new organizers who are involved in three library clubs and have asked about the feasibility of organizing FIDE rated events. There were many young adults from the university who had never played anything but online and they were fairly knowledgeable on openings at least. I squeaked out a win in the tournament with two of my students tying for second and losing only to me or each other.

The YCC organized by Christina Tao with over 100 players conflicted with an event further up the 401 put on by Hal Bond and Michael von Keitz with a high turnout. One factor in the big turnout was CFC youth coordinator tireless work promoting the event at the Windsor Chess Challenge where 1400 players played again after two years of cancelled events and also at the yearly fun Colasanti tournament in nearby Kingsville.

I think Queen's Gambit is a factor but the pandemic and the emergence of online chess is a bigger factor with many playing online and getting better. Pre-pandemic a tournament with twenty or thirty players was considered a success in Windsor. All of my new adult students have been coming from chess.com or lichess.org and they are very interested in improving.
        Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Thursday, 11th May, 2023, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X