Fire on board!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire on board!

I found this update in the PEI chess scene interesting, not least because of my Peruvian heritage (my father immigrated to Canada in the '70s). I wonder if there are any other 1st or 2nd generation players who are active?

Originally posted by Alex Lambruschini View Post
    I found this update in the PEI chess scene interesting, not least because of my Peruvian heritage (my father immigrated to Canada in the '70s). I wonder if there are any other 1st or 2nd generation players who are active?
    Do you mean those with Peruvian ancestry, such as yourself, or are you speaking of all heritages that are first generation Canadian?

Comment

Here's something worth noting also. The guy claims only that he on track to become a NM, is he really the official Champion of the province of PEI? And he jumps in to offer free lessons to all newcomers, but there is no ment6ion of his experience or qualifications. I reserve judgement on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Henderson View Post
        Here's something worth noting also. The guy claims only that he on track to become a NM, is he really the official Champion of the province of PEI? And he jumps in to offer free lessons to all newcomers, but there is no ment6ion of his experience or qualifications. I reserve judgement on this one.
        https://www.chess.ca/en/ratings/t/?i...02049&p=177741

2023 PEI Closed Chess Championship
        1 Moreno, Jorge 4.5 +2 +5 +6 +3 =4 1958 2124 2021
        2 Banks, Anthony 4 -1 +6 +3 +4 +5 2033 2029 2036
        3 Melgar, Fernando 2.5 +5 +4 -2 -1 =6 1658 1864 1734

A 2000 player could teach beginners a lot.

Comment

A quick search at the CFC ratings page (no special talent required to do this) reveals that Jorge is the current regular, quick, and rapid chess champion of PEI!! His rating is near 2100. I'd say Jorge is well-qualified to teach chess.

I also say congratulations, Jorge, on your good results and for being a good person who is willing to donate his time to teach the game to others. Good luck to you in the future.
          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
          "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Thanks for the updates. I suppose I could have searched, but I ain't the one who started this thread. There is still not enough information. Surely we can agree that being a 2000+ player does not guarantee that you are a good teacher. I respect his willingness to contribute his time, But if Mr Moreno is being promoted by the CBC, our national broadcasting network, as someone to teach all new Canadians, then I would hope that they have checked out his qualifications and experience as a teacher, not just as a player.
            Last edited by Fred Henderson; Tuesday, 30th May, 2023, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the updates. I suppose I could have searched, but I ain't the one who started this thread. There is still not enough information. Surely we can agree that being a 2000+ player does not guarantee that you are a good teacher. I respect his willingness to contribute his time, But if Mr Moreno is being promoted by the CBC, our national broadcasting network, as someone to teach all new Canadians, then I would hope that they have checked out his qualifications and experience as a teacher, not just as a player.
              Seems he is popular with the CBC :)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/princ...reno-1.6835217
              'Exhausted' chess champ raises money playing 19 games at once

Moreno, the provincial champion, played 19 matches simultaneously over more than three hours at Holland College in Charlottetown.

It was part of a fundraiser to help P.E.I.'s chess team travel to Montreal for the Canadian Chess Challenge beginning May 21 in Montreal. About $600 was raised.

Well done!

Comment

ooooh. 19 games, a tough 3-hour event. One of the players was even a grade six student. I'm impressed. Respect again to Mr. Moreno. Still no evidence of teaching ability, unless you can tell me that any 2100 player can be a teacher. Some references would be nice. But I guess we don't care about this kind of stuff in this group of deep thinkers and CFC backslappers.

Oh yeah, good luck with his plans to become Canadian Champion. Not sure how old he is. My guess mid-twenties. Hope he has a good trainer.

LOL

Comment

ooooh. 19 games, a tough 3-hour event. One of the players was even a grade six student. I'm impressed. Respect again to Mr. Moreno. Still no evidence of teaching ability, unless you can tell me that any 2100 player can be a teacher. Some references would be nice. But I guess we don't care about this kind of stuff in this group of deep thinkers and CFC backslappers.

Oh yeah, good luck with his plans to become Canadian Champion. Not sure how old he is. My guess mid-twenties. Hope he has a good trainer.

LOL
                  Why are you like this? He is the champion of his province, giving away free lessons, in a story by the CBC, and you decide to troll him? Be better.

Comment

Are you having a bad day, Fred?

Comment

LOL
                      Fred, I think you should be ashamed of yourself for essentially attacking the integrity of the #1 player in PEI, who is freely giving his time to teach beginners how to play chess and improve. I think most 1500+ players can easily do this, but don't. He also freely donated his time to do a Simultaneous Exhibition with the funds raised going to Charlottetown juniors. All of this while attending Holland College and starting the first ever Chess Club there.

As for his personal ambitions, I know his short term goal is to get his rating high enough for the Canadian Closed, I suspect that as for actually winning the Closed, that may have been a mis-communication, but if not, we can all dream.

It appears that right now PEI is trumping some of the other areas in Canada in terms of getting Chess in the news.

The Other Fred
                      President Chess PEI

Comment

oooh weeeh, I rest my case.

5 tournaments, all in P.E.I. rating pool ??? and he is representing Canada? Not one person speaks to the issues I have raised. Including some name(s) from the old 4 " x 6"".

Respect AGAIN to Mr Moreno. So far so good.

What do you say, Mr Moreno? I would welcome the chance to play, you for the love of the game.

Comment

Still no evidence of teaching ability, unless you can tell me that any 2100 player can be a teacher. Some references would be nice. But I guess we don't care about this kind of stuff in this group of deep thinkers and CFC backslappers.
                          When someone is giving away something for free I generally don't care that much, no, and yeah, I do believe anyone rated 2100 can probable impart value on beginners in teaching chess.

With the current state of the CFC, I can see a non zonal Canadian closed being won by a master in the future. Most of the top players have no interest in it. A player rated 2088 finished 9th this year with a performance rating of 2220.

Comment

My rating was 2090 when I began coaching Raja Panjwani, age 9, in early 2000. His father Dilip approached me with a request that I coach him, and I agreed. That worked out pretty well. That said, not every Master, or CM, or Class A player, necessarily makes a good coach. I put a lot into it, and Dilip, Raja, and I had a very good relationship, right from the start.
                            I had earlier coached a very talented young golfer, Matt McQuillan, who made the PGA Tour for two years, from 2011-2012. I was a better golfer than chess player, and Matt had many other coaches, as well, after me. With me, he improved enough to start beating me, and he won the Men's Club Championship at a Kingston Club three months after I started helping him, at age 15, in 1996. After that, we competed as near-equals, trading Club titles, and we both made the Ontario Amateur Championship field in 2001.
                            Based on what I have read here, I believe this PEI player who is offering to help coach chess in the province, should be encouraged to do so, and thanked.

Comment

Working...
                            X