How to Beat The Crap Openings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Beat The Crap Openings

This series should take the average Internet player past the 1800 hump, since the only people to play this crap are <1800 players on chess.com. The lines my opponents play might not be the best, but a lot of people play them. I'll Just present the games as they come up. First on the list is a typical Smith-Morra Gambit...

[Event "correspondence"]
    [Site "chessworld "]
    [Date "2023.5.27"]
    [Round "NA"]
    [White "john"]
    [Black "fred"]
    [Result "*"]

1.e4 c5 2.d4 cxd4 3.c3? dxc3 4.Nxc3 e6 5.Nf3 a6! 6.Bc4?! 6. b5 7.Bb3 Qc7 8.O-O d6 9.Re1 Nd7 10.Bf4 Ne5. Black is at least equal.

I see this sort of thing all the time from the Black Side of the Sicilian, especially the Bowdler. Black takes his time developing the kingside, and focuses on rapid queenside development and control of square e5, Black must be patient but White has no pawn breaks or initiative and the c4 bihop bites on granite.

IMNSHO

Never underestimate "crap" openings ;) black is too late in development here, 11. Rc1 (11... Nc4 12. a4) followed by Nd5 and white is winning.

Comment

What kind of "typical smith morra" sees Re1 instead of Qe2 and Rd1?

I would not enjoy playing the black side you have presented. Even 11. Nd5 immediately kind of just immediately wins for white (11..exd5 12. Nxe5 dxe5 13. Bxe5 Qxe5 14. exd5 wins the queen)

Comment

Originally posted by Guillaume Cardin View Post
        Never underestimate "crap" openings ;) black is too late in development here, 11. Rc1 (11... Nc4 12. a4) followed by Nd5 and white is winning.
        too late in development? What about the line 11...Qb8 12.Nd5 Nc5 ? I didn't look closely, but I don't see a clear win. Do you?

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post

I would not enjoy playing the black side you have presented. Even 11. Nd5 immediately kind of just immediately wins for white (11..exd5 12. Nxe5 dxe5 13. Bxe5 Qxe5 14. exd5 wins the queen)
          What about 11...Qb8 ? That would be my choice, at first glance. I haven't yet done a serious analysis, so maybe you can show me the win.

Last edited by Fred Henderson; Wednesday, 7th June, 2023, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Here is the same idea in the Bowdler Attack.

1. e4 c5 2. Bc4 e6 3. Nc3 a6 4. a4 b6! 5. d3 Qc7 6. Nf3 d6 7. Bf4 Nd7 Black is fine. Have reached this sort of position many times.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post

<snip>
              I don't see why I should worry about 9.Qe2 Nd7 10.Rd1 Black can always play ...Qb8 if necessary. d6 pawn looks well defended, e6 looks ok too. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Comment

7...Qc7 is not a very good move, walking into Rc1 stuff. But the Smith Morra is not a crap opening. The only real disadvantage is that Black can transpose into the Alapin variation if he wants. If Black accepts the gambit, White has sufficient compensation. It's just a double-edged position.

Comment

I've been playing through GM Daniel King's "Anti-Sicilians for Black" Chessable course. He doesn't call the Morra "crap", but he clearly holds it in contempt -- even wrinkling his nose while describing it. But when I study his lines against the Morra I find the same thing I do everywhere else: Black equalizes.

But that's the same result against all of White's non-"crap" lines against the Sicilian: if Black knows what to do, then it's about equal.

IMO, the main problem with the Morra is that Black can go 3...Nf6, transposing to a Alapin, which is the kind of boring middlegame a Morra player doesn't want, and is a two-for-one defence for Black, since it works against the Morra and the Alapin.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Henderson View Post

too late in development? What about the line 11...Qb8 12.Nd5 Nc5 ? I didn't look closely, but I don't see a clear win. Do you?
                    I assume you mean 12... Nc4? it drops the d5 pawn back but also if the knight moves it allows e4-e5. That kind of position with white completely developed and black 3 moves away from castling is not viable. 13. Bxc4 dxc4 14. e5 is clearly over, all white pieces are in perfect attack position and black is completely undeveloped and 3 (!) moves away from castling.

I also agree that Qc7 just leaves the queen unstable.

for 11. Nd5 Qb8, 12. Rc1 transposes :)

Comment

Here is my line against the London System. I'll look back at the Sicilian stuff later.

1. d4 d5 2. Bf4 Nf6 3. e3 e6 4. Nf3 Bd6 5. Bg3 O-O 6. Bd3 b6 7. O-O Ba6 8. Bxa6 Nxa6 9. Qe2 Nb8.

Black is behind in development, but is solid and flexible and will soon catch up. IMNSHO

Comment

Working...
                      X