Authors who write for advanced players ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Authors who write for advanced players ?

Of course we have Dvoretsky, but what about Jacob Aagaard? Anybody have anything to say about his books, he is very prolific.

Any others?

I read one of the Aagard books and it didn't make an impression. If you want books with real insight, you have to look for books written by top players. Kasparov's My Great Predecessors, Morozevich's opening manual on the Chigorin. Gelfand has a series of books that look very good.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Kirby View Post
      I read one of the Aagard books and it didn't make an impression. If you want books with real insight, you have to look for books written by top players. Kasparov's My Great Predecessors, Morozevich's opening manual on the Chigorin. Gelfand has a series of books that look very good.
      I question the statement in bold. As Fred Henderson himself pointed out recently, being a strong player doesn't guarantee you have good teaching skills. Also, Aagaard is a GM which by definition makes him a top player. Gelfand once engaged Aagaard as a trainer which suggests that players at or near the pinnacle have a high regard for his teaching/training abilities. If you didn't click with one of Aagaard's books, perhaps it's because you weren't part of Aagaard's target audience.
      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
        If you didn't click with one of Aagaard's books, perhaps it's because you weren't part of Aagaard's target audience.
        He has two distinctive series:
        • Excelling at ...
        • Grandmaster Preparation...
        Both series are not for plain reading, requires to study them, though Thinking inside the box is quite entertaining :)

Oh, and he just published the door stopper - A Matter of Endgame Technique (maybe it will evolve to Grandmaster Knowledge series)

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post

I question the statement in bold. As Fred Henderson himself pointed out recently, being a strong player doesn't guarantee you have good teaching skills. Also, Aagaard is a GM which by definition makes him a top player. Gelfand once engaged Aagaard as a trainer which suggests that players at or near the pinnacle have a high regard for his teaching/training abilities. If you didn't click with one of Aagaard's books, perhaps it's because you weren't part of Aagaard's target audience.
          Being a good trainer and being a good writer of training books aren't the same thing. For me, what I value most in books is the insights into how strong players think about chess, so for me the books that have made the biggest impression are by players that have really advanced chess understanding throughout their careers.

These days anyone can train with a computer and get good. So the value in books for me is in accessing the deeper insights of accomplished players. But it's just my opinion.

Comment

In coach Kaidanov's latest interview he highly recommends Aagaard's Thinking inside the Box for adult chess players.

Comment

Kasparovs Test of Time is quite in depth and not considered a light read.

Aagard books are highly regarded by many coaches and players....
              Last edited by Sheldon Ab; Monday, 26th June, 2023, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Some of Karsten Muller is worth a mention here. Secrets of Pawn Endings is pretty advanced, as is Magic of Chess Tactics.

Comment

Yes Karsten Mueller is one of my favorites

Comment

I recommend GM Averbakh's "Chess Tactics for Advanced Players."

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
                      I recommend GM Averbakh's "Chess Tactics for Advanced Players."
                      This book is fantastic! One of the first chess books I read years ago.

Comment

I am impressed by the work of Valero Beim. his works are original, very well constructed and scholarly, as if he were writing a PHD thesis. I have just purchased "The Enigma of Chess Intuition", a serious run at such a vague concept. He says Capablanca is the man at intuition and also says that prime Spassky was the best middle game player in large part due to his sense of intuition.
                        Last edited by Fred Henderson; Sunday, 2nd July, 2023, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X