Why "Chessca Open" should be renamed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why "Chessca Open" should be renamed...

Lately, I've been doing a little promoting of this tournament in my area and when ever I tell anyone about it I keep saying "Chess-I-Ca" Open.

Finally someone bluntly pointed out to me, "It's Chessca not Chessica".

Well after thinking about it I came to the conclusion the extra syllable just flows better. It's a smoother more natural way of speaking. Why, its even more poetic if you think about it.

Anyways I hope you all show your support for my idea by voting YES in the fair and balanced poll above!

And here's to the Chessica Open Chess Tournament in 2010... I hope you all agree!
    Yes. (The extra syllable flows so smoothly!)
    23.08%
    No. (I must be a contrarian..)
    76.92%
    Last edited by Garvin Nunes; Friday, 16th October, 2009, 02:21 AM. Reason: Forgot something

Re: Why "Chessca Open" should be renamed...

Chessica is the name of a chess-playing computer program.

Those who do the work get to name the tournament. It has always been so.

Nonetheless, nobody can stop you from spelling it one way, but saying it with an extra sound. Lots of people do that with the word asphalt. Somehow saying it chess-eh-ca strikes me as both funny and annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by Garvin Nunes View Post
      Lately, I've been doing a little promoting of this tournament in my area and when ever I tell anyone about it I keep saying "Chess-I-Ca" Open.

Finally someone bluntly pointed out to me, "It's Chessca not Chessica".

Well after thinking about it I came to the conclusion the extra syllable just flows better. It's a smoother more natural way of speaking. Why, its even more poetic if you think about it.

Anyways I hope you all show your support for my idea by voting YES in the fair and balanced poll above!

And here's to the Chessica Open Chess Tournament in 2010... I hope you all agree!
      How about "Chessicabana"? Sounds like a party!
      Only the rushing is heard...
      Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
        Chessica is the name of a chess-playing computer program.
        Well, there was someone called "Paul Keres", and yet that didn't stop many from calling their tournament the "Paul Keres Memorial".

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
          How about "Chessicabana"? Sounds like a party!
          Let me say for the record that if the organizers choose not to rename their tournament "Chessica Open" (this would be due to the copyright issues mentioned above of course and not because the name change is silly...) I am definitely ok with "Chessicabana". (Perhaps the tournament could be moved to a cruise boat or resort and the players could be served drinks with little umbrellas?)

Comment

No objections to the name, but "Elora Mill Open" or "Elora Gorge Open" or (to the lesser extent) "Elora Quarry Open" seem neat, helping to promote the major local tourist attractions for the town.

Comment

I propose the original poster should change the spelling of his last name to Noons or Noonyez, depending on pronunciation.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
                I propose the original poster should change the spelling of his last name to Noons or Noonyez, depending on pronunciation.
                How about showdown at high noonyez

Comment

Working...
                X