Best wishes for 2023 Canadian Open in Calgary!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best wishes for 2023 Canadian Open in Calgary!!!

The 2023 Canadian Open will begin today in Calgary, the third edition of the championship to be hosted there, after 1975 (won by GM Leonid Shamkovich) and 1996 (won by GM Kevin Spraggett).

Checking out their website, I see that play will be in two sections: Open and U1600, over ten rounds, ending next Sunday, July 30. Seems like an excellent format. About 200 players have registered, and the prize fund looks generous!! Among top players registered are GMs Evgeny Bareev and GM Alexei Shirov.

As a former Calgarian, I wish the organizers, players, and sponsors every success!!! The playing site is in North East Calgary, not far from their airport, an area mostly newly developed since I lived there.

I would have loved to play this year, but my health simply isn't up to it right now. So, I am sending a $500 contribution to the tournament, for Best Games Awards, to be decided how the organizers wish, with but one request: inclusivity. This is in honor of Branimir Brebrich (Hall of Fame inductee this year) and in memory of my friend, the late Frank KIuytmans (dedicated player and organizer for decades in Calgary). My letter, with a Canada Post Money Order, is in the mail this afternoon, sent to the organizers at the tournament site.

There is a 'Canadian Open Chess Championship' page on wikipedia, which I started several years ago. I have just updated it to include this year's basic tournament information.

I am hoping the organizers can provide regular updates from the championship on chesstalk!

Respectfully submitted,
    Frank Dixon
    NTD, Kingston

Apparently there will be 10 DGT boards, and the link for viewing will be posted shortly (round1 is at 6 pm MDT; 8 pm EDT Saturday July 22).

Comment

Working...
    X