Gladiators of the Chessboard Amateur Open, Sept 16-17 ** All Ages ** All Levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Former Organizer/Arbiter, Brian Lamb, always posted his financials somewhere in the hall before the last round, and announced where it was so all players could go check it out.

It's a place in the capitalist system, where some capitalists are totally transparent..........they tell their customers how much profit they will rake in (It was always MILLIONS!)

I would add that they should put the list of their organizing hours on as well! Then those worried about gouging could see how much the organizer has charged per hour..........anyone think it will be above the minimum wage in Ontario?

Anyone ever wonder why we don't have more organizers in Ontario? Could it be the risk of "losing money"?

Bob A (I organized one Toronto weekend tournament........it almost killed me........)

Comment

Financials were always posted before the final round in Ottawa events in the Doug Burgess/Terry Fleming days. I'm in favor of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
        As for the expenses / balance sheets, I agree that they should not be on chesstalk. Too many armchair critics who never actually go to a chess tournament, or organize one themselves. However, I do think the financials should be made public on-site for anyone who would like to see them. Nothing wrong with knowing the monies are going, and if anything the chess world could use a bit more transparency.
        Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
        Former Organizer/Arbiter, Brian Lamb, always posted his financials somewhere in the hall before the last round ...
        Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
        Financials were always posted before the final round in Ottawa events in the Doug Burgess/Terry Fleming days. I'm in favor of it.
        This event's financials will be available for viewing by request of any player. I may not have a printer at the venue so I likely won't be posting a paper version. As Alex recommends, I am definitely not posting it here on ChessStalk.
        Last edited by Don Parakin; Wednesday, 13th September, 2023, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Definitely some interest in becoming Gladiators at the Burlington Club last night.

Comment

Just wondering how many other sporting events do the players ask to see the financials of the event before they decide to play in or during the event, hmmm...? Just my two cents. Hope you have a good turnout!
            Last edited by Gordon Gooding; Wednesday, 13th September, 2023, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Gooding View Post
              Just wondering how many other sporting events do the players ask to see the financials of the event before they decide to play in or during the event, hmmm...? Just my two cents. Hope you have a good turnout!
              I was thinking the same - but in what other sport can an outright beginner win as much (or more) cash than a master in that sport?

Comment

Definitely some interest in becoming Gladiators at the Mississauga Chess Club last night.

Playing 3rd round in the club championship, I got smushed. Congrats to my opponent.
                Further proof this old Gladiator maybe is overrated.

Heading for 800. Hope that rating deflation adjustment is coming soon! HAHA

Comment

Bob, thanks for promoting the event. At 20+ and growing we'll come close to the # of U2000's at Excelsior's Sept Open last weekend. Operator is standing by for the last minute rush.

You and I should start an "800 Assault" thread to counter Amit's "2200 Assault" (link). I too am hoping the deflation adjustment comes sooner than my dementia adjustments :).

Comment

I was thinking the same - but in what other sport can an outright beginner win as much (or more) cash than a master in that sport?
                    There might be something wrong with that sport assessment/reward system if beginners win as much as or more than a master. Something is definitely wrong that organizers thinking. That isnt the norm is it? I have been organizing a few tourneys for years now and the top section always got the biggest pot. Mind you my pot wasn't that big most of the time, sigh! My memory isnt what it used to be but Im pretty sure of that.
                    Last edited by Gordon Gooding; Thursday, 14th September, 2023, 01:15 PM.

Comment

An example would be when you have multiple players splitting the top prizes in a high section, and a single player winning a lower section. Often the latter will win more.

Comment

Um, if they were tied in the top section and there couldnt be a clear winner, then that is the way it falls, some top players werent masterly enough to take clear first, second or third . If the lower rated player wins his section alone, congrats to him, he is entitled to that full prize amount. This scenario would happen in any section though, I would think. I dont see anything wrong or unfair about that. Do you?
                        Last edited by Gordon Gooding; Thursday, 14th September, 2023, 09:08 PM.

Comment

An example from the 2021 National Open in Las Vegas 3 GMs and 2 IMs tied for 1st - each winning $3780.

https://www.vegaschessfestival.com/l...OPEN&YEAR=2021

Meanwhile - the winner of the U1700 section won $4000.

https://www.vegaschessfestival.com/l...1700&YEAR=2021

Mediocrity should not be rewarded to such an extent.

Comment

An example from the 2021 National Open in Las Vegas 3 GMs and 2 IMs tied for 1st - each winning $3780.

https://www.vegaschessfestival.com/l...OPEN&YEAR=2021

Meanwhile - the winner of the U1700 section won $4000.

https://www.vegaschessfestival.com/l...1700&YEAR=2021

Mediocrity should not be rewarded to such an extent.
                            Gord, hold my beer, I got this. I agree with your assessment 100%.

Hugh has found an extreme example:

Open section - 5 way tie at 7/9 $ 3,780 each
                            U1700 section - clear 1st winner at 6.5/7 $ 4,000

Hugh, why not highlight

U2100 - clear 1st 6.5/7 $ 6,000
                            U1900 - clear 1st 6.5/7 $ 5,000

The reason organizers spread the money around to lower sections is to give everyone a chance to win something.
                            What's wrong with that? It's a competition, give everyone a chance to win.
                            The lower sections are still subsidizing the top section.

Reality is, you need lots of players in the lower section to pay the rent. Prizes help motivate entries.
                            Calling them mediocre doesn't help.

Try organizing an event where 100% of the prizes go to the top section, see how that goes!

Comment

Also, the top 5 in the Open section were GMs & IMs so probably did not pay an entry fee and might even have *received* an appearance fee. C'mon, Hugh, as a basement section dweller should all my money go to the top?

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                              Today, 08:26 AM

Gord, hold my beer, I got this.
                              LOL, at 8:26am Bob, is that your last beer of the night or your first beer of the day :)

Comment

All the best to the tournament and organizers.
                                It is really great to see all kind of events.

Comment

Working...
                                X