CFC needs to address proposed FIDE's Trans player ban situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFC needs to address proposed FIDE's Trans player ban situation

In recent days, FIDE has announced a possible ban on Trans chess players. The Associated Press and The New York Times have published articles on this topic, with the Times interviewing Morgen Mills, a Canadian Trans / female player (formerly male Morgan Mills), who played for Canada women's team at Chennai Olympiad 2022 (and also in Ecuador recently, as Morgen described).

The CFC's policy, to be developed, must adhere to Canadian human rights policies, already in place.

FIDE is proposing a two-year study period.

I got to know Morgan when he was at U of T, when his friends and colleagues Alex Lambruschini (Queen's) and Andrew Pastor (Western) asked me to direct the Post-Secondary Team tournament, about 20 years ago. I agreed, and it started a successful annual series.

Since chess is mostly a brain activity, for me, it shouldn't cause problem that a person trans compete in a woman event. On the other end, since chess is recognize as sport by International Olympic Committee and the trend seems to create trans event distinct of women event, it can cause problem with IOC.

My two cents opinion. Hope to read more opinion!

P.S.: The title of this subject should be CFC needs to address proposed FIDE's Trans player ban situation from women events because they evidently can play chess in open section.

Comment

https://www.chesscanada.info/forum/s...5424#post45424

Comment

About fucking time Vlady.

Comment

Unlike lonely and idle people like you who pester the people that actually do the work, I had a full day of lessons when this decision dropped and also participated in a chess camp. In between the lessons I spoke to someone at the CBC about this and also dealt with a bid for the Canadian Open and CYCC in 2025. I did miss out on the meeting regarding the new Canadian School teams because it was rescheduled from 9 pm on Friday just after my three hour group class was scheduled to end which of course ran a bit late. I also sent the statutory notification for the upcoming AGM and added the topic to that meeting. We also had a discussion by the executive on this topic where most of the executive expressed their opinions. Oh yes and I had an email discussion with the only person in Canada impacted by this decision which is Morgen Mills. I also had to compose our position for that CFC board post. I am still waiting for some more feedback from the CFC board and from voting members.

For the most part, I ignore chesstalk but there are still some old friends who post exclusively here but informing the people like you who crawl out from under the rocks is not one of my priorities. Sorry. You are totally irrelevant when it comes to chess in Canada and in the world. You are just that lonely guy that pestered the people who worked in the CFC office, when they had an office and made a zoning complaint that cost someone his home. Petty, lonely and irrelevant then and petty, lonely and irrelevant now.

Comment

First, I appreciate the clear stance being taken.

None of the stuff about her willingness to participate was necessary to include in this post. Her eagerness to participate shouldn't have any impact on the CFC's condemnation of this FIDE decision and including it feels a little bit like if her rating was 1400 the CFC wouldn't really care. Only the first and fourth paragraphs were necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post

First, I appreciate the clear stance being taken.

None of the stuff about her willingness to participate was necessary to include in this post. Her eagerness to participate shouldn't have any impact on the CFC's condemnation of this FIDE decision and including it feels a little bit like if her rating was 1400 the CFC wouldn't really care. Only the first and fourth paragraphs were necessary.
              You have to put a face to the people that are being impacted. Morgen is a genuinely nice person and it is a genuinely nice person that is being impacted by this decision. I wrote what I thought needed to be said. Perhaps I might have said it in a better or more concise way and I believe that I communicated most of what I wished to communicate. The perfect is the enemy of the good.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post

The perfect is the enemy of the good.
                What nonsense. You just made this up!

Fred Harvey

Comment

Is this for real? FIDE is actually considering this? Coming up with a plan to prevent men from becoming women in order to cash in on women's only chess? Well, let them first tell us what it is that defines a man and defines a woman? How does FIDE determine gender in order for eligibility to "women's chess" in the first place? LOL

Nothing to worry about. A good lawyer would make mincemeat out of Illumzhinoff or whatever his name is. Is he still in charge?

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Henderson View Post
                    Is this for real? FIDE is actually considering this? Coming up with a plan to prevent men from becoming women in order to cash in on women's only chess? Well, let them first tell us what it is that defines a man and defines a woman? How does FIDE determine gender in order for eligibility to "women's chess" in the first place? LOL

Nothing to worry about. A good lawyer would make mincemeat out of Illumzhinoff or whatever his name is. Is he still in charge?
                    If a Supreme Court of the U.S. nominee couldn't do it... Anyway, there is new management of FIDE which is why this is so surprising. Gutfeld! did a whole segment on chess last Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post

If a Supreme Court of the U.S. nominee couldn't do it... Anyway, there is new management of FIDE which is why this is so surprising. Gutfeld! did a whole segment on chess last Friday.

hmm, if FIDE is saying that this sort of thing must be prevented, are they not saying that men are better at chess than women? hmmm, well, the numbers sure back that claim. I looked long and hard for some solid scientific information on this topic, and found this from the National Library of Medicine. Very interesting ...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2679077/

Comment

I know I am late to this conversation, Sex and Gender aren't the same thing Male and Man / Female and Woman are not the same thing.
                        sex refers to biologoly only and gender to social constructs. ie. Morgan Mills is Sex Male - Gender Woman (please correct if gender is different

I believe FIDE mistakenly uses the word Woman to mean Female not knowing the difference.

Comment

Working...
                        X